App and SMS notifications for new booking request and enquiries not working

Brad123
Level 2
Saint John's, Canada

App and SMS notifications for new booking request and enquiries not working

I sent this message to airbnb support regarding how notifications are no longer working for me for new booking requests or enquiries.

Hi

6+ months ago I contacted airbnb because I was often not getting push notifications on the app for new booking requests. I had to turn on SMS notifications as a backup which, along with email notification, worked. It seems now the past few weeks I still do not get SMS notifications for new booking requests and no longer get SMS notifications for new booking requests. All I get are email notifications and I do not constantly check my email. So it may be hours before I notice the email. My response times are getting longer as I would usually respond within an hour even in the middle of the night. What is wrong with the app? This is the most important feature of the app and it appears other hosts in the airbnb community are complaining of the same problem.

Please advise,
Brad

Their reply is below which does not address my issue at all:

Brad,

Since SMS's are limited to 160 characters, any replies made using this feature were short leading to a bad experience due to broken-up messages. 

Going forward, users who attempt to respond directly to such a SMS will receive a localized informative message directing them to the website/app. Standards SMS reply command like STOP, START, and HELP will remain unaffected. 

Thank you for being a valued member of Airbnb.

Robert

I replied trying to clarify the problem:

Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply but it does not address my problem. I do not receive push notifications from the airbnb app or via SMS that I have a pending booking request or inquiry despite the fact that notification settings are turned on.

I do not reply to any request/message using SMS.

Brad

4 Replies 4
Brad123
Level 2
Saint John's, Canada

I came up with a workaround.  I am using a Hotmail address in my Airbnb account which I can access on Outlook.com.  I am also able to email a text message to my phone (I am on Bell Canada, see text email address format in screenshot).  I made an inbox rule in Outlook that should forward an airbnb enquiry or reservation request as a text message to my phone so I am notified immediately. I have not had a request yet to confirm if it will work.

airbnbFWD.JPG

Julie--And-Brian-0
Level 3
Colorado Springs, CO

I specifically came to this forum to ask about this issue.  My husband and I  - after 3 years of hosting - have suddenly stopped receiving push notifications on our mobile devices and iPads. Same situation as you. I receive emails, but nothing else. Like you, I only check my emails a few times a day - sometimes never on the weekends!  I've triple - checked my settings and everything seems to be normal. So frustrating! And yes, that answer you received was completely useless! 

Glen40
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Same problem here. I did not change any notification settings and all of a sudden I can not see push notifications on my phone (galaxy s7 latest android version). I never receive new booking inquiries anymore. Have been waiting for 40 minutes on hold while trying to call Airbnb. Still waiting. Very frustrating. 

Vera12
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I have the same problem and now will lose my Superhost status because of it. I called Customer Service and they are HORRIBLE. On my side my notofications are turned on, on their side they are not. I used to get an email, a note from the app, and a text message and now I get NONE. They explained it's a known bug, they can't do anything, they have different departments that don't communicate (like that's my problem), its a glitch "it's not personal" (very condescending as if I think it is a "personal" thing because I will not accept that they have zero responsibility to have an accurate Superhost award system that does not punish hosts for THEIR glitches). They said airbnb is "a self-help system" that expects hosts to report things in Feedback (which, by the way, when you do tells you that they will not get back to you, thank you for wasting your time submitting your urgent concern into a black hole that may make our system better someday) and not to customer service. Do these people receive any training at all? It sounds like they are 19, sitting in a loud party room and just smoked a bowl, highly skilled in "passing the buck" - and that's including the "manager" I asked to be transferred to. What are all the fees they collect for then if they can't have responsibility for removing at least the consequences to Superhost status that their bugs create, if nothing else (i.e. lost reservations, etc)?? So consequences of bugs are 100% on hosts who have 0 control over bugs?  Come on Airbnb - you can do better!