App notifications no longer working

Sara83
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

App notifications no longer working

I have an iphone X and for the past month or so the app notifications have not been working. First I stopped receiving some notifications but not all. This came to a head when a guest turned up at my door a few weeks ago and I had no idea she had made a booking. Then notifications stopped entirely. Again, I find this out when a guest texted me to say she was on her way to my place at 10pm this evening.
I saw another "conversation" like this but it said it had been resolved - except the resolution was to just use the text notifications (which isn't a resolution). I don't want text or email notifications as I have no control over them. Airbnb also spam my email so much as it is that it is hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I rely on the app notifications for when a guest messages me or when there is a new booking. Those are the only two forms of notifications I want or need from Airbnb and up until now it is has worked perfectly. 
I am using the current IOS, the Airbnb app is up to date and the notification settings are as they should be. I hope someone can shed some light on why this feature no longer works.

39 Replies 39
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sara83 This happened to me once and, if you search around here, a lot of people have had this issue - and the weird thing is there doesn't appear to be one simple fix.  I had it about two years ago, contacted support, they scratched their heads for a couple of days and then it was fixed.  I don't know what they did, or if in fact they fixed it or it fixed itself.  The annoying thing was that my response rate was affected and they just shrugged.

I get all the notifications possible - app, text, and email - but when the app stopped working, the texts stopped, too, so that wasn't much use.

Anyway, if you haven't already, send a message to @airbnbhelp on Twitter and see if you can get them to fix it.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Sara83 @Ann72 

This just happened to me, too. I only noticed it yesterday, but the last notification I received would have been on Monday. Very frustrating because yes, it will affect my response rate. I can't log in and check my account every 15 minutes to see if someone has messaged me!

Not sure if it's my phone or the app. I've done everything I can on my end to resolve it so I hope it resolves itself. And soon!

Please update if you find out anything and I will as well!

Sara83
Level 3

I am still in the process of Airbnb support telling me that they are "reporting the issue to the right department" and will get back to me "as soon as possible".

I refreshed my calendar this morning and lo and behold, I have another last minute booking (joys of living in Edinburgh!) that I would've otherwise missed because I am so used to a notification coming in on my phone. 

I think at this point I am going to have to ask guests within the UK to text me and those outside of the UK to whatsapp me to let me know they have made a booking/ask any questions despite turning on text notifications (they also don't work).

I am also going to try uninstalling then reinstalling the app to see if that helps. I'll keep you posted if there is any progress!

Sara83
Level 3

Update! Uninstalling and reinstalling the app removed the "notications" option from my phone entirely...Jeez...I now can't turn any notifications on or off now. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Sara83 

Same thing! Support told me to remove and reinstall and the notification settings are no longer available for the app. I have an old iphone (5) so this is definitely an ABB glitch.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Sara83 

Okay, so I uninstalled once again, and then reinstalled and the notifications option is there once again! Now I just have to wait....

Livia93
Level 2

The same thing has happened to me. The texts are still working though - in the meantime it would be worthwhile enabling texts just to keep an eye on things! It's the only way that I'm notified. 

RomyandJan0
Level 2
Prague, CZ

Hi, exactly the same problem here. I am on iphone 5S and iphone 7. Extremly annoying, caused a lot of problems with my guests... so reinstall is the solution for this?

Lucinda46
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

Following

Eleanor93
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Also having this problem (on my iPhone X). Keep ‘discovering’ new messages in tbt app Inbox. Extremely annoying and makes us all look bad. Let’s hope AirBnB fix this very soon. Presumably they same problem is happening for guests?

Also have this problem on my iPhone 7 - NOT GETTING NOTIFICATION THAT I HAVE AN INQUIRY....

really annoying !!!

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Bump.

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Bump;  anyone at Airbnb actually care?  🙂

Blair14
Level 2
Edinburgh, GB

Hi THERE, I'M HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. iT'S ONLY BEEN THIS PAST WEEK SINCE MY IPHONE UPDATED TO THE NEWEST OPERATING SYSTEM AND I HAVEN'T YET FIGURED OUT A WAY TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE WITHOUT REPEATEDLY OPENING THE APP TO CHECK FOR MESSAGE WHICH ISN'T A LONG TERM SOLUTION. cAN ANYONE ADVISE IF THEY'VE FOUND A SOLUTION TO THIS? 

mANY tHANKS, sHIRIN