App notifications no longer working

Sara83
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

App notifications no longer working

I have an iphone X and for the past month or so the app notifications have not been working. First I stopped receiving some notifications but not all. This came to a head when a guest turned up at my door a few weeks ago and I had no idea she had made a booking. Then notifications stopped entirely. Again, I find this out when a guest texted me to say she was on her way to my place at 10pm this evening.
I saw another "conversation" like this but it said it had been resolved - except the resolution was to just use the text notifications (which isn't a resolution). I don't want text or email notifications as I have no control over them. Airbnb also spam my email so much as it is that it is hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. I rely on the app notifications for when a guest messages me or when there is a new booking. Those are the only two forms of notifications I want or need from Airbnb and up until now it is has worked perfectly. 
I am using the current IOS, the Airbnb app is up to date and the notification settings are as they should be. I hope someone can shed some light on why this feature no longer works.

39 Replies 39
Coralee2
Level 2
Harvie Heights, CA

I have a Samsing and ipad and 95% of the time i do not receive notificafions on either device. My host has an iphone and she receivea all  notications. The bug has been fixed a few times and then the app works perfectly...then a day or two later it stops working again and does not send notificatiins. I have asked my host to send me a text message if I need to respond to guests. This is a hassle, but it is kinda works. The bug has been there since July 2019, so I sm not sure if it will ever be fixed in the longer term.

I am now having this issue on my iPhone X. I haven’t received notifications, badges, or txts in over a week yet. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling. Please fix this devs, it’s been over 6 months!

Regina-E-Rob0
Level 1
Florianópolis, Brazil

We had this problem a few years ago, when we had iPhones. We never receive e-mails or texts, despiste having all notifications turned on. We swapped to Android a few years back. For the Last month or so we are no longer receiving push notifications or even the little dot on the app icon. @Laura_R

Scottie3
Level 1
Columbia, SC

I have this issue on my Android phone and my property manager has it on his iPhone7- both started a few months ago.  Is there any resolution to this issue?   We've had several last minute bookings show up by surprise because we didn't open the AirBnB app constantly to look

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

After months (possibly six) my notifications are now working again. Not sure who did what, but happy I'm now back in the 'club'.

Tadas2
Level 1
Edinburgh, GB

SOLVED:
I have had this issue for a while now, but stopped bothering at some point as AirB&B support was helpless. But just recently followed someone's suggestion to delete the data and cache from the app and everything worked like a charm. The notifications are back on track.

Good luck.

How did you delete the data and cache from the app?

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I believe I may have discovered the cause of this issue. If you make changes to your notification settings within the app, only SOME of those changes actually get updated to the server. It's just a really **bleep**ty app and AirBnB shows zero interest in working with bug reports. I've been reporting this issue for months both to customer service and via the feedback form but in typical fashion, nothing is done.

If you alter your notification settings in the app and then log in via a browser, you will see lots of discrepancies. The app might say "push notifications on" but the website says "push notifications off", while email notification changes made via the app might get correctly pushed back to the airbnb servers.

@Sean95  Fair point, but push notifications are off on a desktop because they don't function there.  At the bottom of the notifications page on the website, it says, "To manage your push notification settings, use the Airbnb app."

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I am necro posting because this issue has returned. I no longer receive push notifications on my phone for bookings, inquiries or messages. I tried my previous solution, which was to open a browser on PC and toggle those notifications off and back on. However, I noticed that the notification settings in a browser no longer include push notification controls. Those have been replaced by in-browser notifications. So I turned those on, but they also do not work.

1. Do in-browser notifications work for anyone?

2. Does anyone know how to get push notifications working again? I tried logging out and back in, deleting and re-installing the app, turning all notifications off and back on, all to no avail.

E-mail notifications continue to work at least.