Arrived with extra guest and states they cannot pay extra

Answered!
Kerry34
Level 2
Chgo, IL

Arrived with extra guest and states they cannot pay extra

Hello- My current guest stated there would be two people and arrived with three (the extra is a child who appears to be under 5). Originally my guest booked for one person. Later she mentioned her brother would arrive before her, and I switched the reservation for 2 people. I met them for the first time this evening at 11:00 and there was an additional child who was sleeping on their guest bed. When I noted the sleeping child on the bed, they said they booked the home for two people due to language barriers (yet they already switched the reservation once). They then said they did not have enough money to pay extra. I have told them that I would contact Airbnb about how to handle the situation.

I am hoping to have an Airbnb representative help to moderate. This entire situation makes me very uncomfortable. I feel it may be best for them to find accommodation elsewhere. While my home does have room for 3 people this feels manipulative especially because the person who booked this trip is a host in her home country. She should be well aware of the booking process. I;ve never had such an issue before and as a Superhost have received high ratings from my many previous guests. Thank you for your help.

1 Best Answer
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

be firm, dont be a doormat

View Best Answer in original post

38 Replies 38
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Alina21

Was this your last guest who left the review (translation) "A pleasant experience. Very good location for what I wanted."??

Nobody has access to read her private feedback than you.

In your public response you reacted to that, unfortunately drawing attention to some negative critique while her public review was favorable.

Otherwise, as @Momi0 says it's well formulated and would have had a great rectifying effect if the negative comments were actually visible in her public review.

Hello Andrea, thank you for clarifying this to me. To be honest I wasn't aware that the feedback was not public. I y dihearted by the comments as I thought it wasn't fair

do you know if I can delete it now ? 

I will have to invest more time reading about various features of the site. Since the apps were introduced, I hardly go onto website, where obviously , functions are more visible/ accessible

thank you once again 

Alina 

@Alina I felt the same pain because of the unfair review system AirBnb has. We as hosts should send feedback and complaints to AirBnb about their review system which allows a review when there are conflict or arguement situation like this.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

I now have a situation where two young guys have arrived but only booked for one. I called airbnb and I've put in a money request . they told me they have 72 hours to respond by which time they will be gone back home to he u.s.a and they've just arrived fro Spain..  I took the booking because  Airbnb had blocked my calendar  for the dates  dispite the fact that the guest/guests hadn't verifyed their I.D. it gave me little choice even after I called airbnb because it was only two was away . I'm also finding it hard to find avdvice on the website or from calling Airbnb directly I did ask them would the security deposit  cover it if need be but apparently not . also the person on the phone  kept repeating what he though might be a suitable  answer and when I would interrupt  and tell him that's not what I asked he would  more or less start the script  all over again . after 30 minutes  he said Air bnb  would guarantee I will be paid . That call alone on my prepaid plan cost fifteen euro .

David831
Level 1
Scottsville, KY

I just had a simular situation:  a guest reserved for 1 but arrived with 2 other adults and a child.  His excuse was that the listing said that our cabin could sleep 4 so he brought 4. I confronted via message (to no avail) and face to face ( to no avail), afterwards I attempted to collect via the Airbnb resolution center direct to the clinet, he declined to pay.  Finally, I clicked on the button to get Airbnb involved, within 12 hours the funds were added to my account and I had received an apology note from Airbnb for my experience and another asking if my situation had been resoolved.  Impressive respponse!  

What kind of review did they leave for you?  I had a situation like this and they left a review for me that was nothing but lies.  I just made me sick.  And sadly enough, Airbnb would do nothing about the review.  I did post a rebuttal to the review, but I still wonder what other people think when they read what we both wrote.

AirBnb review system has issues. In such a situation when a guest and a host has disagreement and arguement, a review is still allowed to be entered. Definitely the reviews will be entirely biased and unfair. I encountered situation similar to this. I sent a feedback to AirBnb. I urge all hosts to do the same. I was told by AirBnb reps that AirBnb will consider change when they receive enough feedback.

Sorry for the delay Patricia, the guest never posted any review or respond to my comments.  AirBnB was quick to take action and I was promply paid for the inconvience, I'm not sure if AirBnB covered the expense or if they retrieved it from the client, I never asked.   

Irene-and-Bob0
Level 2
Independence, MN

I had a woman book for one guest for two nites. She booked on July 2 for a July 4-6th stay. I had guests checking out on the morning of the 4th so it was fine. I messaged her promptly and asked for an arrival time. I heard nothing back until 1:30 in the afternoon on the 4th when she texted me and said she was on her way. A few minutes later she texted again and asked if there was a grill because she was bringing her god children with her for a few hours. When she arrived there were seven people! Three adults and four children. She said they were only going to stay for a short time. Shortly after another woman arrived. Then two more women. Then another man. I approached the woman with the reservation and asked what was going on. Again they would be leaving soon. At 8:30 P.M. I told her that there would be a charge for each add'l person here. She asked if she could pay for the little girls to stay. I agreed. I now had 14 people here. They finally left at 2:30 in the morning. What a nightmare. I have just updated by house rules to say that guests arriving with people in excess of the number on the reservation will be denied access to the property and will forfeit their reservation. My house rules did already say that visitors require pre-approval by the host. She was in violation of the house rules in several ways.

Did you receive bad review afterwards? If you did, please send your feedback to AirBnb to revise their review system not allowing reviews posted when there are disagreement between a host and a guest in the reserbation.

Julia864
Level 2
United States

I have 2bd/2ba condo in Denver downtown. I had young people (students) booked it for 5 guests. I did allow it. They brought 3-4 additional guests. The front desk managers ( 2 of them!) brought it to my attention. We also noticed 2 extra mattresses were brought to the condo that arived in the boxes shipped to the guest's name. 

The students TRASHED the condo. The guest who made the reservvation closed the account. AIRBNB did ABOSLUTELY NOTHING (!) to resole the issues with 3 - 4 extra guests. They closed the case. What do I do now? 

You can appeal the case with photos of trashed condo. You can request for charges for additional guests as well. However, it may be too late since the reservation ended last September. But just for your future reference, please keep all evidence and file claim immediately after you find out what happen to your property. As hosts, we should all fight for our rights. You can send your feedback to AirBnb at 

Hello , I had a similar situation I had 4 girls book my two double bed 600 square foot Chalet. We do a drive by to see if things are ok and looked to be a party, I have a no party policy . We went home I texted her and NO answer but I told her in text they better be out at 11:00 we gave her till 11:30 and went back . We stood outside and I asked who ever it was ( a girl) to please get ??? the girl who booked. She stepped outside and I asked if she got my text? she said Yes. I said then what is going on ? she cried , I said get them out now and I'm waiting , I put my phone in her face and said I will call police. Plus this is at the start of the pandemic when we had to only be in the company of a few people at a time. She went inside and we counted 16 people in total that left and the 4 girls that booked stayed another day. In hind sight I would make them all leave . Airbnb had a bit of a time getting my money but they did it, it did come out of a different girls account not sure why ? I didn't ask some times you must take things in your own hands and get the job done. If we would have had a problem I was calling police be darned if they were going to reck my place..... I didn't ask for more money I just wanted then out.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Julia864  Sorry this happened to you. In the future if you are told there are extra guests immediately contact them via AirBnB and tell them that the extras must leave immediately and your front desk manager will see them out then call AirBnB. See if it's possible to make a deal with the front desk managers, so no added guests over 4 may get access from now on. Also never allow delivery of a package or mail to a guest in the future have your front desk be made aware of this. They simply refuse delivery on packages if not refused and delivered they hold it all for you and any mail for them. Ask that it not be given to the guests only you. You can collect it at a later date and write "Not At This Address Return to Sender" on the front with a black marker cross out your address and just let his name show and it gets dropped in a mailbox, UPS or FedEx store.

Julia864
Level 2
United States

When people rent a property they have a right to receive their mail. I don't think the law will allow the owner to control mail to the guest who rented the property.  

The front desk cannot control access to the property once the keys are checked out. I cannot access the property either to check on number of guests without violating their privacy. 

The problem is wth AirBnB: hey are not willing to help and pay with the Host Guarantee and I don't have any access to security deposit held with AirBnB.   

I am getting more in favor of VRBO or HomeAway where you can withhold deposit if there are damages or extra guests...