Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

As a host I do require ID check

Alina134
Level 2
Exeter, United Kingdom

As a host I do require ID check

Hi. As a host, I do require ID before booking approval. Today  Airbnb forced me ( by sending me an email) to accept a booking from a guest that do not have an ID uploaded to his profile, but has an email and a some reviews. If I did not accept that booking the dates requested by that guest would be blocked, and probably I would loose my superhost title.  How is that posible.? PS. Now I have another guest on the same situation. I do t feel comfortable and safe to accept him without having an ID, but I don't want to be punished for that. I mention that with the first guest, i message him to ask for ID, but after 12 hours did not received any answer from him and he did not upload any ID. 

1 Reply 1
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Alina,

I'd put gov id required into your house rules right away.  It will give you some leverage for the future & as you are still at this moment covered by the EU you currently have more leverage than American hosts.

A 12 hour delay in answering could be down to a time difference, the guest might respond soon. If you use instant book (couldn't tell) you can have airbnb cancel any booking you don't feel comfortable with although your instant book will probably be suspended for a random amount of time.

According to Airbnb's own terms of service hosts & guests are the ones making the contract for a stay- you can so ask for the name of the person who will be staying in your listing. How else can you make a contract with them? Anyone who would be insulted by this request isn't suitable for using this service anyway and should go to a hotel (where id is required )  Best of luck, and check out other threads on the id topic in this forum. Sally