Awful Guest

Jeanne76
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

Awful Guest

Superhost here...has anyone had a guest so absolutely unhappy with literally everything? It started with 6:00am requests for higher wattage bulbs, 5:30am texts to fix the Wi-Fi (which was working) and on and on to where she is complaining about other guests in the main property (she’s in the apartment). I haven’t even started on the yelling at me and other issues. She’s been here for 10 days and has a 52 day stay.

13 Replies 13
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeanne76  Take control - ask Airbnb to find her somewhere else to stay- she is way too demanding and unfortunately you are giving her oxygen by giving in. She'll give you a poor review no matter what you do. If she asks you why: just say unfortunately it is proving impossible for you to meet her standards and it's not working for you. (Stand firm)

Jeanne76
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

Thank you! I wrote her an email this morning telling her I would be happy to refund her the remainder of her days and that I didn’t Feel she would be happy no matter what. I received this back... 

That is an outrageous statement and absolutely NOT the case. The facts are on the record as I have laid them out and the reasonable people who have read them , agree that that is what they are. Facts which are true and reflect reality. I have acknowledged help when given and pointed out when this was not the case. This in response to an assertion of going above and beyond which was not accurate. So, let’s just stick to the facts.

Then...

I have also not personally attached you as you have done me . Again, the facts speak for themselves.Others have been involved in these facts and can corroborate them

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Jeanne76 I would call Airbnb and have them cancel immediately after that response. You will get a bad review anyway so it is not worth to spend 40 more days agonizing over this guest. Hopefully you will get new bookings for the days of the canceled reservation but even if you didn't, it is still better to not have to bother with her. 

@Jeanne76   She sounds a little unbalanced, assuming your message to her was as you stated, her reply is an unhinged overreaction, nevermind what other people she's talking about having reviewed all the 'facts'.  I'd contact airbnb and say that as a result of so many complaints+now this ranty message, that you no longer feel comfortable hosting this person and wish to have the booking cancelled with no penalties to your listing.  See what they say.

This was my exact message to her...she’s nuts 

Vanessa,

If you would like to check out earlier than your desired date we will be more than happy to return your remaining funds for the days not stayed. Sometimes people cannot be pleased and this seems to be the case here.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jeanne76 

requested stronger light bulbs at 6 AM? She is nuts!

you should keep all your correspondence on the Airbnb messaging system so the CS can read them.

Even if you have a conversation in the house just repeat everything on Airbnb messages " just to confirm our conversation from today, you were unhappy with xxx and requested xxxx and  I offered you xxxx ...."

Call Airbnb every single day if neccessary until they cancel for you.

ps

this reservation should be canceled within 28 nights of her stay or she will get tenant's rights and then you are in banana my dear ...

My only saving grace is that she’s a citizen of the UK and we are in California. 

Jeanne76
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

Thank you to all of the replies! So appreciated! I just got off the phone with Airbnb and they are going to reach out to her. If she cannot take it down a notch (or 40) she is being asked to leave and I gave them 24 hours to find her a new place. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeanne76  I don't think she'll understand what taking it down a notch even means, as she obviously feels justified in behaving this way. She's going to make your life miserable- this is the kind of guest who ends up making hosts decide to stop hosting.

I'd be insistent that she leave. Another 42 days of her will be unbearable.

Hopefully she's as intractable when talking to Airbnb as she has been with you and it won't be a battle to get her out.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Jeanne76 

I am curious to know how did it all work out? how long did it take you to get her removed?

Was there no clue in her initial exchanges with you prior to booking that something was off about her?

The thing with people  that have mental issues is that no matter what you say to them, their sense of perception is completely off and so you really can't fix situations such as these no matter what. Try not to take it personally as it really has nothing to do with you but rather an inner battle with themselves. Just detach yourself immediately from people such as these as they can be very dangerous at times

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Although I don't agree with @Sean433  generalisation with the 1 in 4 people worldwide who have mental health issues. It is simply not true about the majority of people with mental health issues that 'their sense of perception is completely off' (although this may be the case with some people with mental health issues some of the time).

It would be useful @Jeanne76  if you can let us know how this played out.

@Helen3 

Fine, maybe their perception is not "completely" off but in many cases, it is distorted from reality significantly enough to cause harm and stress for those around them, in this case hosts like Jeanne. I've witnessed mild and the most extreme episodes.In the extreme ones, sometimes they don't even remember their actions. Because of this, my recommendation remains to detach yourself ASAP if you are host from such people who are very evident in having serious issues.

But as I also said, this is not a hosts problem and unfortunate that we will eventually have to deal with mild and extreme cases of it.