Background Che cks

Mike99
Level 2
Caledonia, MI

Background Che cks

I just had a reservation cancelled the day before the guest was to arrive at my home. He made the reservation yesterday and I accepted it. Today Airbnb sends me an E-mail that shows the reservation cancelled by AirBNB and the users profile was deleted from the website. I googled his name and city/state this morning and found out that he is on the sex offender register for an event in 2005. He has been a member of AirBNB since 2018 according to the e-mail that still exists between us. How the hell does someone like this stay on the AirBNB platform for well over six months if AirBNB is doing background checks on EVERYONE??? Guess it is up to us hosts to check out who is staying with us as AirBNB's supposed backgound checks are not being done with any checks or measures in place other than lip service from the company. Gotta keep yourself safe as AirBNB isn't getting the job done...

1 Reply 1
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mike99 

I can't imagine how could possibly Airbnb do the background check? Ok, in the USA you have a public register but I don't think other countries have one. I know we don't.

Airbnb will delete the guest's account if someone reports him or if something is wrong with his account.

But I agree, Airbnb should ask more information during the sign-in process,  email address and the phone number are not enough.