Bad Guests = Too Bad For Hosts

Answered!
Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Bad Guests = Too Bad For Hosts

I have been hosting on Airbnb for about 1 year now and just had the unfortunate experience of asking guests to leave my home.  My home was booked for 2 nights this Memorial Day weekend and my house rules are clear; no parties and all guests staying in my home must be mentioned by name in the initial booking as well as their relationship to the person who booked my home.

Long story short, as I have Ring doorbell, I was able to see 4 people entering my home prior to my 3:00 PM checkin time, 5 more people entering my home in the following 2 hours. I tried texting my guest; no response.  I tried calling his phone to inquire as to why there were 9 people in my home instead of 1.  No answer.  At least 7 of the 9 people had backpacks or bags as if they were planning to spend the night.

I called Airbnb and was told that I was within my rights to ask everyone to leave as they had clearly violated my house policies, and because my cancellation policy was moderate I would be paid for 1 night as well as my cleaning fee with no penalty against me for cancelling the reservation.  Airbnb did ask me to wait before taking any action while they tried contacting my guest.  Airbnb was not able to contact my guest either.

Finally at around 6:00 PM I went over to my house to inquire what was going on as I could not get any response via the app or phone.  I had to BEAT on my front door in order to be heard.  The young man who came to the door was not the person who had booked my home and told me there was no one at my house by my guest's name.  I was momentarily speechless.  I asked several more times and he continued to deny there was anyone by that name in my home.  Finally I said I was going to have to ask him and everyone in the house to leave.  At this time, the man who had booked my house appeared at the door and I was able to ask him and everyone in my home to leave.

I contacted Airbnb again to let them know that I had asked my guest and all additional people in my home to leave.  At this time I was transferred to a different department within Airbnb and the representative I spoke with, Aysia, questioned me as to whether or not I really would need to clean my home and said Airbnb would not be compensating me for 1 night's rental fee.  She said, "well, you could have a rule about not wearing shoes in your house and ask everyone to leave because they wore shoes in your home" as if I was the one being completely ridiculous.  I tried to point out that my house rules clearly state no parties and that the names of all guests staying in my home must be mentioned when the person is booking my home.  She told me that if I could provide proof that my home needed to be cleaned, Airbnb would compensate me for my cleaning fee.  I told Aysia that I would not be able to return to my home until the following day in order to assess the condition of my home.

What I found when I went back to my home: during the five hours that 9 people were in my home, the bottle of complimentary wine and brownies I leave for my guest(s) had been consumed, both bathrooms/towels had been used, and all beds had been slept in.  The kitchen had been used and trash left.  No one bothered to lock my doors when they left my home, so it was left unlocked overnight and into the next day.

I uploaded the pictures proving that my house would have to be cleaned and again asked Airbnb representative Aysia for 1 night to be compensated as well as the cleaning fee as I would not be able to rent my home out over the weekend to someone else.  Aysia said that because the guests didn't actually stay in my home overnight she would not be able to credit me for one night.  However, my guest was refunded the entire amount of his stay while I was left unable to rent my home out or recover any loss of income due to HIS violation of my home policies.  I let Aysia know if all 9 guests had slept in my home overnight, I would have been in violation of my City of San Antonio STR permit as only 2 people per bedroom are allowed.  I have 3 bedrooms.  It made no difference.

I am left feeling very unhappy with Airbnb.  In all probability, the guest I had to ask to leave will go on to do this to other hosts as there was no penalty to him whatsoever.  Airbnb has taught this young man that it's perfectly fine to disrespect a host's home policy.  In fact, they refunded his whole fee and offered to find another Airbnb house to stay in.  Airbnb has taught me that they don't care if my house rules are disrespected either. 

When I asked Aysia if the first Airbnb representative who told me I would be compensated for 1 nights stay as well as my cleaning fee could be located, I was told that because I didn't have anything in writing from this representative, it would not be honored.   I reminded Aysia that the call was recorded, so surely they could listen to it in order to confirm.  Again, I was told no.

I think I am finally understanding why Airbnb is offering $360 for new host referrals.  

Although I asked for a supervisor, I was told a callback would be scheduled. I'm still waiting.......

It also appears that I am unable to upload any images to this post.  I get this message when I attempt to add images, "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

Does anyone else hosting on Airbnb also feel that they are biased against hosts?  Or, that bad guests are rewarded for their bad behavior while the host is penalized?

Julieanna
1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julieanna0  A friend of mine who has been hosting for years gave me some really good advice re dealing with Airbnb CS. If you get a clueless, unhelpful rep (why was this Aysia even talking about wearing shoes in the house?- the issue was 9 people staying on a reservation made for 1, the cleaning fee was a minor issue in comparison), you don't continue to engage with them at all. If they start out that way, they'll continue in that fashion, or become even more unhelpful or close the case. You just grit your teeth, say thank you for your time, hang up, and call again, as if it is a new issue. Don't mention you've already spoken to someone else about it. You may have to do this several times until you are lucky enough to get a CS rep who actually understands the issue and is willing to work with you respectfully on it.

Also, although I realize getting guests out ASAP would require a phone call, as it's urgent, phoning seems to be the worst way to contact them- from what I read here, users have their calls dropped, claims that there is no record of any previous conversations, and they almost never seem to call back, despite the assurances that they will. For non-emergency issues, I prefer the messaging function- at least there is a message documentation trail which I can screenshot. And while I haven't used Twitter to contact them, others say that works better, as well, and same, you'd have a trail of messages you could screenshot before they mysteriously disappear.

View Best Answer in original post

80 Replies 80
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Julieanna0 

It is clear some Airbnb reps are not capable of handling such a case. Booked for 1 person, 9 show up. You have a maximum of 6 guests on the listing and charge extra after the 2nd guest.Things are already at fault at check-in. I would not even let them in. And the comparison with the "shoes rule" is rediculous.

You can give feedback here:

Airbnb Feedback

@Emiel1  I too felt like this Airbnb rep wasn't capable and have asked to speak with a supervisor.  Aysia responded that someone will contact me within the next 24-48 hours.  I'm very interested to see if someone does contact me.  And yes, you're correct, things were at fault at check-in.  Unfortunately I had already given them the code to my smart-lock so I wasn't able to prevent them from entering my home.  Of course, I had no idea when I gave him the code that 9 people would show up.  Yes,--the shoe rule comparison was insulting.  Asking people to please remove their shoes is hardly in the same category!

Julieanna

Hello @Julieanna0 , first of all, I'm sorry about your experience!

I'm planning to start hosting an Airbnb, reading problems that might come up so I learn from others and avoid as much trouble as I can.

I've read the main post, obviously you had bad luck with the Airbnb representative (besides of the host), and the answer given by Sarah977 sounds like a good way to handle it, but you also mention in this comment "things were at fault at check-in" would you please explain that? 
Thank you so much for your time, kind regards,

All the best

Gabriel

@Gabriel3412 While this was from quite a while back, I think the main point was the CS should have realized that the problem, (or fault), was at check-in; 9 people showed up to stay instead of 1.  Since the advent of COVID, I no longer rent the main part of my home out, but rather a small part that only accommodates 2 people.  This has been the best decision ever, as my previous problems have all but disappeared. 

Julieanna

AIRBNB should allow hosts to collect security deposits.  This will prevent this from happening and allow you to recover costs for violation of house rules, disturbances to neighbors, police calls, etc.  The fact that AIRBNB only covers for physical damage is a joke, knowing the community damage is far more devastating to our community as shown in the daily google alerts regarding party homes, shootings, and STR regulations banning AIRBNB's.  This problem does not happen on VRBO since we can collect security deposits before a guests books, deterring this behavior and  deterring these types of guests from booking.  I have discovered that certain groups of younger travelers have actually picked up on this loop hole and can throw a party with no financial responsibility to themselves.  They create new accounts with the purpose of hosting a party.  AIRBNB protect hosts, while your add it, add trip insurance, so hosts aren't penalized when you determine extenuating circumstances  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julieanna0 

Airbnb always sides with a guest even when the guest is violating the house rules, attack his host verbally or even physically, steal, make a damage etc... and they will always be refunded for days not spent when we kick them out.

The result: Airbnb become a synonym for " trash party houses"

Many good hosts left Airbnb and now are listing on VRBO, booking.com, and other, more serious and reliable platforms.

I've heard too many such stories and I am just 1 bad guest away from leaving Airbnb.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Yes, I think you might be right about Airbnb becoming synonymous with "trash party houses".  What I really don't understand is that there ARE homes listed on Airbnb as party houses.  Why don't the people who want to party book them instead of a home that clearly states no parties?  

I've never tried VRBO or booking.com, however, as you mention, perhaps they are more serious and reliable platforms than Airbnb.  Thanks for your response!

Julieanna

@Julieanna0 Those party houses charge much more than your house. I had the same misfortune as you had. My house was trashed after a group of guests partied in my house. They took off the router and my video doorbell could not get how many of them entered my house. I did checkin in person for the guy and his girl friend. He booked for three guests. I told them that no parties at checkin time.

But when I went to the house two nights later (I had a two day minimum at that time), trash was everywhere. More than 20 empty liquor bottles were left in the kitchen, living room, and bedroom. The party also left me with missing blankets, towels, broken chair, and shoe rack etc. My guess is that at least 10 people were in the party. Since then, I changed to 3 nights minimum to avoid those people who book my house for party use. 

Thanks @Alice595 for your response.  You are correct that the party houses do charge more,--I guess that' s why my last guest booked my house for 1 person and hoped I wouldn't notice 8 more people!  Changing the length of stay from 2 days to 3 days is a good idea!  Also, a suggestion for you,--try to locate your router behind a locked door so that guests cannot easily take it offline.  I have mine located in a locked closet.  Technically, my guests could disconnect the cable that enters my home through the wall, however,that would be a bit more difficult.  I hope Airbnb reimbursed you for your loss!

Julieanna

@Julieanna0 I did file for claim through Resolution Center. I was able to get money back for depreciated values of missing items and damaged items. But the smoking odor of cigarettes and weeds remained in the house for a week. I was so discouraged.

Thanks for the suggestion about locking the router. The only concern for me is that sometimes the router may need to be reset once in a while when an issue occurs. To save the trouble, I just leave it where everyone has access to it.

@Julieanna0   I am also seriously looking into VRBO.  Friends of ours had their home listed on both, Airbnb and VRBO.   After almost two years, they came to the conclusion that they consistently had a  a" better quality guest"  through VRBO.  Not only that, but their customer service seems to also be more responsive/helpful.   I think it is definitely worth a try.

@Ann489 Thanks for sharing this information as it helps to hear other's experiences when making decisions.  I've had more good guests than bad guests, however, I'm very disappointed in the lack of support for hosts from Airbnb.  

Julieanna

@Julieanna0, @Ann489 in Boise, 

Julieanna,

I'm so sorry to hear you've had this experience.

I can understand the anger and  frustration you must feel.

Do not for a moment think I am condoning airbnb for the way you were treated - I'm definitely not. Appalling. However, in my very limited experience VRBO offers even more appalling CS and are far less proactive than Airbnb.  They will not attempt to contact a customer on your behalf for example  - that's YOUR  job as the host.  Also if a guest doens't pay in full, VRBO does not cancel the booking. You can as the host, but if the guest still turns up VRBO expect you to negotitate the money owing yourself.  I have only had to ring them a few times and more than 80% of the time I got a CS as bad or worse as the one you describe. Worse still, I cannot access the community forums. I am blocked. I get a message saying "contact the administrator" but there is no link to do so.  In 9 months I have made 3 phone calls and 6 emails and this is still not resolved. So i can't get any decent advice at all.  Adn booking.com have stopped new listings being able to take a security deposit.  You have to be there to greet the guest and get if from them in cash and then return it to them in cash at check out. Like you're a hotel with a reception.  I'm not suggesting you DON'T list on these other platforms - it's probably a really good idea, but  I'd hedge my bets and keep at least 2 running.  You MIGHT get a better guest on VRBO - i've only had 2 bookings and one was an absolute nightmare, but don't expect the CS to be any better. IN fact I"ve found it much worse, and I"ve had some pretty dreadful expriences with airbnb admin ( though nothing as bad as you've experienced.  

that's my experience for what it's worth. I agree with @Sarah about hanging up and trying again ... and again.. if necessary.   I personally  dont' agree with  emails being more successful - I find I ususally get a much poorer standard of service and even with a wriiten transaction as "proof" ( eg you definitely WON'T lose IB) it carries no real weight-you  just get referred to Technical services or to a case manager and you never hear from anyone again. Well that's what i've repeatedly found.

It doesn't sound like your place was trashed so that's something good at least. 

It's the injustice of it all that grates - I get it. But I bet you get some really great guests soon and it all wont' seem so awful.  Do you charge a secuirty deposit?   Don't think it's all that easy to keep it if something goes wrong, but most guests don't know that, so a hefty security depsoit might make guests like the one you've just had think twice and go elsewhere to try their luck.    Best of luck to you moving forward.

Cheers

Thanks @Rowena29 for your reply.  I'm just now wondering if I request a security deposit can I make it clear in my house rules that I will keep it if there are sneak-ins?  At any rate, as you say, requesting a security deposit just might deter some of the guests that have bad intentions.  Thankfully my place wasn't trashed as I asked them to leave within hours.  I have no doubt my home would have been trashed 2 days later, and in all probibility, there would have been even more guests show up.  So, in that regards, I was lucky.  I've had other not-so-great experiences, so I'm learning as I go:  https://www.7502castlegreen.com/project-type/after-guests-have-left

Julieanna