Bad post experience of a host

Answered!
Nicola242
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Bad post experience of a host

We have just stayed in a lovely house in Germany and although I thoroughly cleaned and (I thought) went over and above in leaving the house in a good state, my host has publicly and viciously attacked me and accuses me of leaving the dining table and bath with scratches and that she will have to replace them. I have received a demand from her for £500 with no before and after pictures, no formal inventory procedure was done - indeed we never met her. 

I am really upset and don't know where to get advice from - I never noticed any of these scratches and feel at a loss at what to do. Has anyone else had experiences like this and what did they do?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Nicola242

I'm no lawyer but under the impression that if you use airbnb you are agreeing to its T&Cs

Did you pay a security deposit, I can't see one on the listing you booked.

You can make a counter offer or deny liability and the host will escalate to the resolution centre. The host has 3 options 1/ claim from the guest, 2/ claim on airbnb host insurance, 3/ claim on house insurance.

Airbnb will mediate on your behalf and their decision is final,  without before photo's it could have been the previous guests and airbnb will probably kick out the claim, even if they uphold the claim it would only be for the value of the goods on todays secondhand market.

Read this Your-top-questions-about-Host-Guarantee

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

A host myself, I look down on hosts who actually never meet their guests. They are pure businesses, no community. And in fact it might be one of the arguments in your favour should the host escalate the claim. At this point, if you're sure you didn't damage anything, reject the claim with a polite explanation just like you wrote in your post, @Nicola242. The host has to provide some evidence if they take the matter further.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Nicola242
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thankyou for the advice - I have replied stating that I never noticed any scratches and don't feel I should be responsible especially as I have no before pictures or any proof that they weren't there before we arrived. If she still decides to escalate the claim, what legally are our rights ? When I responded to her, does the Resolution Centre get notified automatically or do i have to contact them myself? Thanks x

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Nicola242

I'm no lawyer but under the impression that if you use airbnb you are agreeing to its T&Cs

Did you pay a security deposit, I can't see one on the listing you booked.

You can make a counter offer or deny liability and the host will escalate to the resolution centre. The host has 3 options 1/ claim from the guest, 2/ claim on airbnb host insurance, 3/ claim on house insurance.

Airbnb will mediate on your behalf and their decision is final,  without before photo's it could have been the previous guests and airbnb will probably kick out the claim, even if they uphold the claim it would only be for the value of the goods on todays secondhand market.

Read this Your-top-questions-about-Host-Guarantee