Bait and Switch to a illegal unit

Amish4
Level 2
Richmond, Canada

Bait and Switch to a illegal unit

I made a 3 night booking for a new modern place in Portland for myself and 2 work colleagues.  A week after booking, the host emailed me and said there was a 'fire' in the current unit so they have moved me to a new location, which was slightly further away than I wanted to be from our work event.

I contacted airbnb and they searched for new apartments for me, but there was nothing remotely close to the original booking, or the updated unit. I had to contact the host a few times for them to upload photos of what the new unit looked like. It was nothing remotely close to the 'modern' place I had originally booked, but we decided to just accept what it was because we couldn't find anything else.

Prior to the reservation I contacted the building that the 'original' modern unit was in and spoke to their front desk. I asked if they were aware of any fire, and they said they were not. When I brought this up with the host, they told me NOT to speak to anyone about it because it was a stove fire and it was not reported.

When it was time to stay at the unit, we got their late at night and upon entering noticed the unit was extremely old and outdated. The original booking had 3 beds, and this one only had 2 beds, and two futons in the living room which were small and extremely uncomfortable. I ended up letting my colleagues take the bedroom and I suffered on the futon.

When we arrived the next evening after our work event, there was a letter posted on the door for a 'inspection' taking place by the building management during the daytime. I messaged the host and they were unaware of any inspection taking place. We felt uncomfortable with the inspection taking place, so the next morning we removed all our belongings from the unit and went to our work event. My colleagues felt uncomfortable with the unit and they ended up leaving that day. As I drove into town, I ended up having to stay there the last evening.

I returned at 11pm only to find that I could not enter the unit. The unit always had 2 dead bolts on the front door, but the keys that were given to me only opened one. My assumption was that after the inspection, they locked the other deadbolt. I contacted the host via the airbnb app and they kept asking why I don't have my keys on me. It was at this point I realized I was not dealing with the owner/host directly, but moreso another 'company' called 'keebee'. They eventually 'texted' me a number and said to call that person who was the 'owner'. I called the number and spoke to someone who kept asking me to send him videos of me trying to unlock the door so he can send it to a locksmith. I said no, just send the locksmith. Finally after 45 minutes (now past 12am) a locksmith showed up. 

I explained the situation to him and he asked who was going to pay him?? So I gave him the number of the person I had spoken to. He called them and they said they would pay him by credit card. After he was able to open the deadbolt, he called the number back for payment, but was all 3 credit card numbers that he was given failed to process. The 'owner' then asked him if he would take paypal, which he said. At this point it was close to 1am so I offered to pay the locksmith, and messaged the airbnb hosting company that I would be paying and they need to reimburse me. They said they would, and the credit to my airbnb account was credit back right away.

The notes on the account stated to leave the keys in the unit. As I had a long drive the next day I awoke at 4am (yes after 3 hours of sleep) and went downstairs to the secure parking lot. However as I had followed the instructions and left the keys in the unit, I was unable to exit the secured parking lot as you need the fob to exit. So now I was stuck in the underground at 4am, with no person in sight. I was also unable to enter the building again because I left the keys in the unit.

Eventually I managed to find a dialup phone on a wall, which put me into contact with a security department, and they sent someone down to let me out.

When I returned home I called the number that was on the inspection notice left on the door. The owner of the property management company advised me that this particular building does not allow short term rentals and it was was a fluke that they happened to do the inspection while I was there. They had been trying multiple times to 'catch' the 'long term' renters of this unit, because they were aware they were renting it on airbnb, but had no proof, and now they did. 

I've since been in contact with airbnb management and speaking to them regarding the 'bait and switch' to a illegal airbnb. Of the total charges, half is the actual nightly rate, and the other half, is cleaning fee, taxes, and service fee. Airbnb is only willing to credit 40% of the nightly rate. I am requesting more of a refund as this is a illegal airbnb, and a clear bait and switch. Airbnb is willing to help out and said because they allowed me to stay at the unit then they are entitled to money.

I advised them that maybe they are entitled to some money, but not based on the rates/fees that I was charged. Airbnb is unwilling to accommodate or help in anyway. The 'older' unit is still listed on airbnb.

9 Replies 9
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Amish4  You can use the Report link on the user profile to report the host. Not sure if you are able to get a full refund since you had not canceled your reservation when you encountered the issue. Whether it is legal or not, it is not related to your refund.

I've reported the host and also the current listing (which shows the old unit with wrong photos) and it is still up. Obviously airbnb doesn't care to remove the listing.

Amish4
Level 2
Richmond, Canada

I tried getting in contact with airbnb while I was locked out of the unit at 12am midnight during the stay. Was I suppose to cancel my reservation at that time?

@Amish4  Yes, that would have been time to cancel the reservation. But you say you tried to contact Airbnb, so I assume you weren't successful. And it sounds like you really didn't have anywhere else to go, unless you checked into a hotel?

This host's behavior was abyssmal- he shouldn't be hosting at all. Flag both the host's profile and the listing.

Amish4
Level 2
Richmond, Canada

12am seems like a insane time to cancel a reservation and try and find a hotel, when I was hoping to be on the road to head home at 3am. I was waiting on hold, when I was getting phone calls from the owner trying to put me in contact with the locksmith (which was more pressing issue at that time). 

Yes, 12AM is an insane time. This whole situation was a nightmare for you from start to finish. I certainly hope you get fully refunded. Would you mind posting the link to this host's listing? Either one, as both would appear on his profile, as well as any others he has.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/34338464?source_impression_id=p3_1567526030_Bz3MsLZgzCgLJGix is the link to the place I stayed at. All the photos showing the exterior are fake, including the balcony. There are no photos of the kitchen and the living room. The entire description is fake. The whole place is carpeted and patched in areas.

https://www.airbnb.ca/users/show/254573805 link to the user.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

OMG!  @Amish4  Your post is one of the worst guest experiences I have seen posted in over three years of participating on the forum!  "Hosts" and I use that term loosely, that violate terms of their listing location or their rental agreement and subject guests to your experience are horrible and should be banned from this platform.  I think that Air BNB should bear more responsibility in these situations and make the guest "whole".  Sometimes a guest cannot do anything but stay at the location under adverse conditions.

I don't know if you plan to ever use Air BNB again, but please be sure to select hosts that have qualified for Super Host.  The criteria reduce the possibility of the type of experience you had.

I don't know what you want to do about a refund, but I would suggest you go public on social media as Air BNB seems to be sensitive to that sort of pressure.

Again, I am so sorry about your experience.  It should never happen.

"Sometimes a guest cannot do anything but stay at the location under adverse conditions."

Thank you for understanding! This wasn't a regular check in at 6pm or some normal hour, otherwise I clearly would have looked into a hotel. 

This host had over 100 good reviews, and this was my 10th time using airbnb with no prior issues in the past, but airbnb dealing over this has me real hesitant using them again. They seem to want to protect the host more than the user in this case by standing by their 'terms and conditions'. 

I've already contacted my credit card company and will wait for their response before going any further.