Bank transfer

Bank transfer

Hello 

I really need help.

I have contact a host by email and she send me a airbnb lik where I can book the property. After bookin airbnb send me a email with a bank account details where i have to do the payment. Th host was Carolina Grillo. And the link was https://airbnb.listings-room-471828141.com/1/listing/112/view-vltwrbb3/PguVo5C1Xw . I don know if i should trust her. I asked her for her ID photo and she send that to me via email. Can anyone help me ?

8 Replies 8
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Livja1 Do not trust this host: a legitimate Airbnb host will never ask you to pay outside of the Airbnb system or send them a bank transfer.  The link that you have provided isn't the real Airbnb site: it's a fake, specifically designed to defraud unwary people. Stop all interactions with this person immediately.

If you're interested in booking an Airbnb, go to the main Airbnb site at www.airbnb.com and do a search in the area you would like to book.

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

They are scammers!

Contract rental period
64 months - so stupid for them to write that

They are scammers! Look at the link address. And payment outside of Airbnb is not about Airbnb 
Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Livja1 How do you cintact her by email? Never do any bank transaction outside airbnb site. It could be a scam.

Léa92
Level 2
Paris, France

Hello Livja2, can you tell me how it ends with this "Carolina Grillo" ? I've been in contact with her since two days for a flat in Berlin and she hasn't sent me the Airbnb link yet but it will come soon.

Should I not trust her? If yes we should definitely take charge against her or at least the person that is behind the computer...

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Léa92 

Have a read of the topic below with far too many examples of this scam -  p.s. look closely at page 50 on the topic because Grillo Carolina makes an appearance there too.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

Using chrome browser, the link showed as deceptive page. It is not surprising that the people are using the system to scam people.

I has one Hubert Van Duif who attempted assiduously to have me pay. The background story has very similar setup - bought apartment when working in that city, now lives [insert city name here], will setup apartment through airbnb, payment details comes via email, sometimes asks for whatsapp number. Payment is through transferwise (so far),  link for pictures of the apartment provided in email from agent by name of Jasmine Hinds. Also, you will have 24 hours to pay, a very fancy looking timer on the payment invoice page will let you know how much time is left.

There is nothing genuine about the the airbnb setup, please look at the complete email address. Also when looking to pay via transferwise, the link will be airbnb.[your city name].remodeled.com, which is not the same as airbnb.com.

If you delay payment, which is available via wire transfer from your personal bank, or credit card, then there will be contact made by the poster. If you try negotiating any amount, they will comply. I wrote, I will pay service fee (of 140$) later, no problem. Delay some more, and you will be asked How much you want to pay today?

I reported the email as phishing as when I looked at the header of the email, they all came from google.com.

Be safe out there, protect yourself by not being hasty and take just a few moments more. The apartments I tried were on craigslist, they could also be from other listing agencies.

It is perhaps not possible to track these phishing chaps and scammers, however, I am certain, it is 100% possible to prevent ourselves becoming a victim.

I Was Almost A Victim Of Hubert!

I Think I May Have Came Across The Exact Same Person Today!