Leaving feedback for a guest after a damage deposit claim

Answered!
Sara1585
Level 2
Doncaster, United Kingdom

Leaving feedback for a guest after a damage deposit claim

Hi, I am quite new to ABB and unfortunately my last guest took a dog I wasn’t aware of and broke my rules in allowing it in the bedrooms where it has marked the bedding and duvet.

Cut a long story short she refused to pay the additional cleaning bill of £10 for the cleaner to attempt to clean the duvet (marks haven’t come out and ABB actually sent me the £10 not the guest)

I put in a damage claim to which they didn’t respond, involved ABB and they have closed it given me the payment I wanted. Even though there are stains in the rug (also in my rules not to wear shoes etc on the rugs or variety) that won’t come out, the duvet is stained and the duvet cover somehow washed, I am only put in a £4.99 claim for a new fitted sheet as this is ruined and can’t be reused (I wouldn’t like to see a brown stained sheet when getting into bed).

I'm worried about the review being new to ABB. I’ve read back a few posts and I will keep it professional but I’m worried that the guest will leave me a bad review based on the fact I have put in a claim.

I would also like advice about leaving her a review? I had no other issues other than the rule breaking with the dog and the damage, other than that she was responsive when checking in.

I heard nothing from them throughout their 2 night stay in my caravan.

I messaged them the morning of checkout asking them the usual, ensure radiators, fire etc turned off and key back in keysafe....hope you enjoyed your stay....

her response

‘morning. We set off at 8am. Our dog got very excited at first day and jump on one of the bed. Made a mess. Washable though. Thank you for understanding’

I was speechless...thank you for understanding? This was the first I had heard about it

thanks in advance 

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Sara1585 What a piece of work! Please review factually, e.g. "Guest brought an unregistered dog, broke house rules, and declined to pay for resulting damages. Cannot recommend."  Yes, she may leave a bad review. If so, respond professionally and briefly, e.g. "This review is retaliation for my attempt to recover the cost of damage caused by the guest's unregistered dog." Keep in mind that she most likely won't see your response but other prospective guests will. Also keep in mind that if either of you mentions the Airbnb claim in any way that's a violation of Airbnb's terms of service and grounds to have the review removed. (We allow dogs and in four years we've had a few incidents of damage, but the guests have always brought it to our attention and volunteered to pay. I personally would not initiate a disputed claim for less than $100, but would just consider it a cost of doing business. It's a good idea to keep your rent and/or fees high enough that you can absorb the occasional mishap.) Good luck, and sorry this happened to you.  

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Sara1585 What a piece of work! Please review factually, e.g. "Guest brought an unregistered dog, broke house rules, and declined to pay for resulting damages. Cannot recommend."  Yes, she may leave a bad review. If so, respond professionally and briefly, e.g. "This review is retaliation for my attempt to recover the cost of damage caused by the guest's unregistered dog." Keep in mind that she most likely won't see your response but other prospective guests will. Also keep in mind that if either of you mentions the Airbnb claim in any way that's a violation of Airbnb's terms of service and grounds to have the review removed. (We allow dogs and in four years we've had a few incidents of damage, but the guests have always brought it to our attention and volunteered to pay. I personally would not initiate a disputed claim for less than $100, but would just consider it a cost of doing business. It's a good idea to keep your rent and/or fees high enough that you can absorb the occasional mishap.) Good luck, and sorry this happened to you.  

Sara1585
Level 2

Hi Lisa I agree, I wouldn’t normally think twice about a new £5 sheet, but it was the matter of her ignorance to my property and that she didn’t feel the need to tell me whilst she was there. and just her whole attitude....thanks for understanding....like I knew and had given her the okay lol. I really appreciate your help with what to put in the review I will definitely be using this. Should I wait until day 13 or just do it now? It’s only been 7 days

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Sara1585 What @Lisa723  said.

So she straight up admits the 'mess' and refuses to pay.  Gross.  Such a person, who first breaks the rules, then causes damage, then fails to communicate the damage in a timely manner, then refuses to pay all on top of the total entitled attitude like she is doing you a favor to even tell you of the 'mess' doesn't belong in a home share.  She belongs in a hotel where expectations of guest behavior are low.

Don't know if you have it the UK, but "Nature's Miracle" original formula is an enzyme cleaner that is great for pet stains.  It's expensive, though. 

Sara1585
Level 2

Thanks I will look this cleaner up if we don’t I’m sure we will have something similar. 

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

please leave honest feedback to help the rest of us! Good luck in the future

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Sara1585 I would probably wait until the last minute or when you get a notice that she has reviewed. However note that hosts have recently been prevented from leaving last-minute reviews when Airbnb’s review system went down.