Be careful when reporting guest bad behavior!!

Christianna1
Level 6
El Segundo, CA

Be careful when reporting guest bad behavior!!

I just wanted to let everyone know that whatever you report about your guest when you open a case goes directly to the guest!!!

So I just reported suspected drug usage of a seriously frightening guest, who happens to live locally, and Air BnB reaches out to the guest for comment! I was like, “Uhhh... this scary person knows where I live, where I sleep, how to get around my property and into my house and you’re going to ask him for his reply to the fact that I smelled smoke while he was here and found drugs in the room after he left??” Seriously, Air BnB?!!!!! Put it in the person’s file, but don’t put the hosts at risk like that!!! 

This “transparency” thing is fine, but let the hosts know that prior to us hosting people or reporting anything so we can decide if our lives are worth the report. Air BnB isn’t the police and they can’t protect us, so transparency means they stir the pot without protecting the contents from burning.

63 Replies 63
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Christianna1 Thanks for letting us know. 

I believe that Airbnb support should be trained for what should be communicated to the guest and what should not. With this type of dangerous activities, the person would be dangerous as well. 

@Lizzie @Stephanie @Quincy @Laura_C  This is definitely important toward the safety of hosts. Please report to Airbnb upper management to have these support staff properly trained to handle this type of safety related things carefully and appropriately.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for flagging @Alice595 

@Christianna1 so sorry to hear about this happening to you - I've shared this thread with the CS team and hope to get more information to you as soon as possible.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Thanks, @Stephanie  !!! 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christianna1

OMG This is scary! How can CS rep be so... stupid ????

I totally agree with @Alice595  comment

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Christianna1 you mean a case for damages or other monetary claim? (If so, of course they are going to report the claim to the guest to get their side of the story.)

@Lisa723  No, I wasn’t asking for money and I wasn’t reporting damages. I was just telling Air BnB what happened with the guest when he was here. He had already left. I was just letting them know the real truth of what had occurred with his stay and that my good review of him to the public was left out of fear. I usually have great guests and I’ve never been afraid of a guest before.

@Christianna1 yikes, that's awful. Thanks for the heads-up.

Leaving a good review out of fear?   You should get out of the business man. Wow what kind of smoke was it burning tires, cremation?   It’s not in the constitution but we’ve established a little thing here called confronting your accuser.  If you accuse someone they should always have the right to establish their side of the story    But I hope it wasn’t marijuana because my God it’s so so dangerous   

In a case like this, I wouldn’t have left any review. No review is better than a fake good one. Other hosts rely on these to make decisions about who they accept as guests.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Christianna1  To clarify - you mean when you're in the message thread with the guest in question, and choose "Report User" on the lower left - THAT goes to the guest?  Or, as @Lisa723 said, when you make a claim through "Send or Request Money"?  This is an important difference, as I thought we could report/block guests anonymously.

@Ann72  It was the report user function. I wasn’t asking for money or reporting damages. The guest had completed his reservation. I was just telling Air BnB what had happened.

@Christianna1  Oh no!  I've done that just because people annoyed me and I didn't want them to book again.  I'll be more careful in future - thanks for the warning!

@Ann72  If you say you won’t recommend the guest when you review them, I’m fairly certain they won’t be allowed to rebook your place. But oftentimes we don’t know how truly passive/aggressive these people are until they leave a nasty review and by then it’s too late for that function. Fortunately, there is always an option to cancel up to 3 reservations per year without losing your superhost status if you have instant booking authorized on your listing. So in my opinion, this is probably the best way to deal with a rebook you don’t want, in the off-chance that they return. Most don’t ever return. I’ve had 3 or 4 regular, wonderful guests, but the rest are just one time guests, even if they love the place. 

Hi @Christianna1 

you would need to give anything less than 3* overall and a thumbs down. The later alone is not enough- at least from my experience. Thanks and have a great day! 

Yadira 🙂