Beds

Answered!
Jane496
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Beds

Hi guys, what are your thoughts about beds being made up. I have my own cottage and look after another two also. I am also a podiatrist. I do all the washing and ironing myself just now.

i contact the guest beforehand to see if they want all the beds made up but the 2 cottages i look after sleep 6/8 so i dont feel i need to make them all up if say only 2 guests are booked in.

what does everyone else think?

i think we should all be more aware of our carbon footprint and also i couldnt manage if i had to make all 6 beds up every week. I would be knackered!

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Jane496 Definitely don't make all the beds up.  Your method of asking the guest how many beds they'll need should work well.  Sometimes a couple wants an "insomnia bed," or an alternate place to sleep if one is snoring or something and the other can't sleep.  But that's on them.  I tell them where the sheets are so they don't sleep on a mattress or a sofa without one.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Jane496 Definitely don't make all the beds up.  Your method of asking the guest how many beds they'll need should work well.  Sometimes a couple wants an "insomnia bed," or an alternate place to sleep if one is snoring or something and the other can't sleep.  But that's on them.  I tell them where the sheets are so they don't sleep on a mattress or a sofa without one.

Jane496
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thank you very much for your reply Ann. I am so glad you agree. I was worried i might have to give up. Nice to hear from New York. Somewhere i have always wanted to visit!

@Jane496 You've very welcome, and although my Airbnb isn't in New York (it's in Maine), you're welcome here as well - I've got plenty of room 🙂 

Grace368
Level 2
Ahipara, New Zealand

So I have a similar situation where I have 3 bedrooms, 1 bedroom has a queen bed, the 2 other bedrooms have 2 single beds in each, and I advertise the house will sleep 6.. How do I word it so that I find out how many singles, couples are booking my airbnb? I would prefer singles to not use the queen bed e.g. I had 3 singles and they used the queen and 2 singles Am I being reasonable.

@Grace368  The correct question isn't whether they are couples, but how many beds they will require. There are couples who don't normally sleep together- one may snore like a freight train, one may have restless leg syndrome and kick all night, one may like to watch TV or read at night, disturbing the other, who just wants to sleep. I know couples with quite loving relationships, but they have separate beds, or even separate bedrooms. And people who aren't couples may be fine with sharing a bed, such as sisters.

Grace368
Level 2
Ahipara, New Zealand

So if I had 3 queen beds and 3 single beds and I had 3 people booked. Would it be ok for them to use all 3 queens?

@Grace368  It's up to you. You could charge a base price for using only one bedroom, and have extra charges for use of the other bedrooms. Of course a host would find it annoying to have 2 people book and use all the beds in the house, necessitating all the bedding being washed, but some guests will do this bed-hopping thing regardless, so you just have to figure out how you want to charge so it works for you. Maybe some other hosts who have a similar situation will chime in to let you know how they work it. I just have a private bedroom in my home, so I don't have a lot of insight, only what I've read on this forum. Some hosts say they only make up as many beds as the guests have indicated they need and may even lock the other bedrooms, some charge a whole house price which is hefty enough to cover having to do laundry for all the beds.