Being a new host and making mistakes eg. not being able to get rid of a cancellation on the calenda

Andrew1463
Level 2
Impington, United Kingdom

Being a new host and making mistakes eg. not being able to get rid of a cancellation on the calenda

One day in, as a first time new host, and I'm busy talking to a guest over several hours about a booking; in the meantime another guest using Instant booking books a stay that clashes with the dates I'm negotiating with the other guest. So I cancel the second guest's reservation but their booking is not removed from the calendar so I can't book in the original guest. How do I remove the 'cancelled' status from the calendar?

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear @Andrew1463  It’s really worth reading up on the basics before you start hosting to help avoid mistakes. Look at the useful tips and tutorials here and the FAQs on Airbnb Help Centre.

i would suggest you remove IB from your listing until you become more familiar with Airbnb. And so you can learn to vet guests. 

Airbnb quite rightly takes host cancellations very seriously as it impacts on whether guests trust its brand and the wider host community. It would have told you when you went to cancel that penalties would be involved.

All you can do is call Airbnb and explain you made a mistake and see if there is anything they will do.

Andrew1463
Level 2
Impington, United Kingdom

Hi yes thanks Helen.

It came about as I started with Instant booking turned off and then the following morning, having been seduced by all the good things that IB brings, I turned it on. In that time I had a guest asking to stay for 16 nights with questions, while at the same time another couple booked the place with IB.

I have turned IB off now until I get the hang of it all.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Andrew