Blocked dates because “requester” does not reply

Pamela515
Level 1
Singapore

Blocked dates because “requester” does not reply

Hi

First of all i lost my status as super host because I cancelled a booking- our max occupants is 4- it turned out after some messaging they were 12!!!  Of course I cancelled it. So there goes super host:-)

last week I got a request from someone without any rating or review, and after I accepted her booking, she says there will be 6 of them, and they are smokers- so I cancelled that one, and I- mind you, I was penalized USD100 for that!!!

Now I have a booking request again from a nov’19 joiner (thus no reference yet - but after 2 messages from me asking if she agrees to our house rules and what  the purpose of their trip is (which she should have stated  at the request!), that she has NOT replied to, the dates are still blocked because SHE does not reply!  

My question is why does the host get penalized for guests’ non transparency? 

thank you! 
pam

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pamela515  As you have found out, there are heavy penalties for cancelling. You need to understand how to vet guests before accepting their requests.

In the first incident, you didn't need to cancel and lose your Superhost status- you could have contacted Airbnb, told them she was planning on bringing 12 people to a 4 person listing, and gotten them to cancel it for you, with no penalties to you.

In the second case, you need to send guests a message when they request to book, making sure they have thoroughly read your listing description, have booked for the exact number or guests that they want to arrive with, make sure they are aware of your house rules, etc. You do that before clicking on accept.

In your current case, yes, it's a drag when guests don't answer in a timely fashion and that the calendar gets held hostage, we're all in the same boat there. I'd send one more message, saying that if you don't get a response by XX (whatever the cut-off time is for clicking on accept or decline) you will be declining the request. Then follow through.

And to answer the question you asked, because they are guest-centric and don't appreciate their hosts. 

Pamela515
Level 1
Singapore

Hi!  Thank you Sarah!

Yea, superhost under the bridge now 🙂 but yes I’ll remember your tip to get in touch with Airbnb first - If I get my status back despite constant rating of 5’s 

Re this case of inquirer not replying to questions-  so now it has expired and Airbnb tells me next time my calendar will be blocked for one week!!!!!  That after I have sent 2 messages to the person (Exactly that- have they read the rules? do they agree to the house rules? What is the purpose of their trip?

but yes, thank you- that sounds like a good idea- to give a deadline to reply- I’ll do that next time, thank you very much for that 2nd great tip!

cheers

Pamela

@Pamela515  You're welcome. You can never let a booking request expire- you have to either accept or decline within the 24 hour deadline or not only might Airbnb block your calendar, like they just threatened to do, it dings your Acceptance Rate, which is also counted towards Superhost.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but an Inquiry is different- all you need to do is message back to the Inquiry within 24 hours- you don't need to pre-approve or decline, unless you want to. I never decline an Inquiry, even if they are asking for things I don't provide, or to bring more guests than I accept. I just message back explaining that those things won't work for me and wishing them luck finding a place that suits their needs. If they sent a nice message as their Inquiry that makes me feel they'll be fine guests and their reviews look good, I'll pre-approve as well as messaging them back answering their questions.

Gaz-and-Aileen0
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Thats learning the hard way! First rule of bookings, never cancel a booking your side!

Always get the guest to cancel or get support to cancel it. Head slap.. losing super host I feel bad for you. 

As you now know all ways get airbnb support in on the conversion if you feel something is wrong, and do all communication on the site never over the phone or any other app so support can follow everything that is said.

I find inquiries 19 out of 20 are time wasters. I never block the days for them. Only accept or decline on them leave the days available always for instant bookings.

Pamela515
Level 1
Singapore

Thank you Gaz and Aileen,

Yes indeed- learned those the hard way! Yes I do all my communication on the website- even after they have a confirmed booking. I’d rate a 70-30 ratio of inquirers who actually book tho- but like you I also never block their dates and save for The instant bookers. 

thank you everybody!  I still love being an Airbnb host regardless :-). Just a slow learner haha!

cheers!