Booked guest not communicating

Nicky89
Level 2
England, GB

Booked guest not communicating

I am a remote host for our apartment in Barbados. I received a booking request on 21st December for a 5 night stay starting on 27th december. It was only after I accepted the booking that I realised the guy booking was local and only lives a couple of miles away. I have sent repeated messages asking him to contact me and have heard nothing back. He is due to check in tomorrow but I have no info on when he will arrive etc. i am also nervous he may have booked our apartment for a new year party. I don't normally rent to locals because this can happen. I am kicking myself that I accepted the booking in the first place and am now really nervous because he's not contacting me. I don't really want to phone as i would prefer all communications to be in writing. Does anyone have any advice? I am tempted to cancel the booking but as it wasn't instant book I will be penalised, but I don't understand how I can handle his checkin if he doesn't tell me what time hes arriving etc.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicky89  When I have had guests not answer repeated messages, I've contacted Airbnb and they have gotten in touch with the guest and I then got a return message from the guest.

Yes, I think your concerns about this booking are valid, and I would also tell Airbnb that you have a feeling this guest is planning to throw an unauthorized party. I'm not sure they'll be amenable to you cancelling without penalties, but I'd be firm with them about it having all the earmarks of a party- local, zero communication, New Year's Eve , and at least it will be on record that you wanted to, and if it turns out to be a party scene, there will be some backstory that your suspicions were correct. 

I assume you have some cameras and a co-host nearby that can keep an eye on what is happening there if you don't cancel?

Thanks Sarah. I spoke to airbnb support and they contacted the guest who then got in contact with me. I have a keyholder who I will ask to call round during the stay. I might need him to check up on some repairs that my builder did 😉

I did mention to Airbnb my suspicions so assuming they recorded the call it is on record. Fingers crossed!

Brent298
Level 2
Carcross, Canada

Yes this too is happening to us now. The guest's only communication was asking for "do we have coupons?" What a strange first message! Still no answers, and I'm concerned they're coming from one remote community to ours for a potential party as well. 

Brent and Co.