Breakfast

Answered!
Elaine442
Level 2
Hastings, New Zealand

Breakfast

I just assumed that Airbnb meant, apart from the history of 'Air', bnb stands for bed and breakfast. However, I do not see breakfast talked about much or on many listings. I am new at this, and quickly realized that in providing breakfast, often cooked, that I was not going to be left with much $, after extra power, cleaning and the other minor expenses. What do other's do? And should the price reflect this? And how?

1 Best Answer

Thank you Sarah for the hosting information and advice. I'm much relieved to understand this. I particularly appreciated the adage - offer less and deliver more. I will act on it immediately. 

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elaine442  No, there's no requirement to provide breakfast in an Airbnb. You just need to be sure to uncheck the "Breakfast" amenitiy. Many hosts, like me, don't offer it because the guests we get aren't the least bit interested in breakfast- they might want a cup of tea or coffee (I do offer that, but I don't mention it in the listing- one of the adages of hosting is to offer less and deliver more), then they like to get out and about. Also I'm a late riser- the last thing I want to do is get up early and make a cooked breakfast 🙂

If you enjoy making breakfast for guests, then by all means do, but definitely up your room rates so it's worth your while. Some hosts just leave a continental breakfast- some buns or croissants, some fruit, yoghurt, milk, granola, etc. But again, make sure you're charging enough to cover that.

Thank you Sarah for the hosting information and advice. I'm much relieved to understand this. I particularly appreciated the adage - offer less and deliver more. I will act on it immediately. 

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

Check with your local council/admin area, you may have to get permission to provide any cooked breakfasts etc. they may want to check your kitchen to see if it’s up to standard to provide meals     

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Elaine442 we work full time and so don't have time for cooking breakfast.

Our guests have a kettle, toaster and 'fridge' and we leave them bread, milk, juice, marmalade, jam, butter and cereal/granola and they DIY.

I think another option is as you have shown, the use of these things in the main kitchen and guests DIY. I notice the guests feel quite at home sharing the kitchen and are happy to ask if they can't find something. Maybe this is a good approach, as I feel I'd like to provide something. 

Thank you for sharing. The ideas are much appreciated.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elaine442 Just make sure that you're very clear with guests as to which food is for them. There are some guests who will simply help themselves to all your  food. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elaine442 Just make sure that you're very clear with guests as to which food is for them. There are some guests who will simply help themselves to all your  food. I've never had that issue with my guests, but some hosts have stopped offering use of their kitchen for exactly that reason.

I stumbled with breakfast for awhile. Every time I though about it it turned into a production that really was not profitable. I did not provide it for a long time and when guest ask if it was available I simply replied not at my rate. I also had breakfast coupons in the room along with coffeee, tea, spiced cider and hot chocolate.

I recently added instant oatmeal. Now I struggle if all that if I should advertise breakfast provided to draw more guest.

Any thoughts on that?

Breakfast for our happy bunch is what they see in the listing.

However as a bonus if they do happen to want some cooked provisions Mrs Kev whacks the left over bacon or sausages in my lunch box and I take them to work,  where I am less grumpy with my colleagues, due to bacon (or sausages) Win-Win 😉

Cereals and some toast do the trick for most of our guests

. IMG_20190819_160843.jpg

Rodica12
Level 2
West Kelowna, Canada

i want to delete breakfast option on my listings but i cant find where in amenaties is not showing breakfst option

can anybody help me please

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Rodica12 . It is Host -> Listings -> Listing Details -> Amenities (hit the Edit button there) -> Additional. 

Thank you i found it  🙂

Would a breakfast delivery company change things for you all? Full service, no hassle for you and you even get a percentage for each breakfast sold? Just curious...