Breaking house rules

Answered!
Suneet0
Level 2
Winnipeg, Canada

Breaking house rules

A client booked for one person and brought 13 people in the home. I provided all kind of satisfactory pieces of evidence to the support team. I got the reply that sorry we have limitations.

I am not feeling supported by Airbnb and their own policies. I did what Airbnb suggest to do and backstabbed me. There is no surety and security to do business with Airbnb. 

1 Best Answer
TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Suneet0 More and more I see how much this platform inflates it's "promise" for host garuantee and protection blah blah blah. I am sorry for this ordeal that you went through and for the dissapointment that many of us have learned that at the end of the day, Airbnb is just a listing service and you as a host have to do what you can to protect yourself. Maybe you should add and disclose a security camera as a preventative measure or being more assertive in reminding guests that no outside guests are allowed or improve your vetting process? Whatever you decide, good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Suneet0 More and more I see how much this platform inflates it's "promise" for host garuantee and protection blah blah blah. I am sorry for this ordeal that you went through and for the dissapointment that many of us have learned that at the end of the day, Airbnb is just a listing service and you as a host have to do what you can to protect yourself. Maybe you should add and disclose a security camera as a preventative measure or being more assertive in reminding guests that no outside guests are allowed or improve your vetting process? Whatever you decide, good luck!

@TracieandJason0 Thanks for your supporting msg. You know I tried to collect security deposit my own ways, to cover the losses caused by different clients. Airbnb, threatened me that they will block me if there will be any transaction out of the platform, and suggested me to mentioned the deposit amount in the deposit section. In that case, they will have the power to cover up to that amount. I did it and the time came to recover the money from the deposit. The answer I got, "SORRY".

I don't know if this can ring the bells to the upper authorities or not to do the right things for hosts. I am sure, if hosts are not there, No one will have business to pay the big salaries to the Airbnb staff.

I am a very angry Host!  I have had 3 guest who have not followed my home rules!  I have reported these guests to Airbnb to no avail! Why even have house rules if Airbnb doesn’t think they are important. So now my listing is on hold for 5 days and when I spoke to a manager about this issue, she said the computer automatically does this even though it wasn’t the fault of the host!  I thought Airbnb took care of their hosts!  Can something be done about this issue?  Thank you,

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Suneet0

Sometimes you need to use your own streetwiseness.

One person books a four bedroom house - alarms bells should be ringing at your end and you start grilling the guest how is that so, as it is seems it is naive to think that is not mightily unusual.

Get a security deposit in place but first think of securing your property with outside cctv, in your rules set a high unauthorised guest charge, no visitors policy, instant termination etc.

It's the most annoying thing for many hosts to have extra unpaid guests.

You should surely look for the signs in advance, and airbnb is right, they do have limitations.

What can you realistically expect them to do after the event.?

Suneet0
Level 2
Winnipeg, Canada

Elena, I did everything, had all kind of evidence that the client said that she did the mistake and there might be three guests in the home. Because, up to three guests it is the base rate, every additional gest cost after that. 

@Suneet0

How and when did you discover 13 people arrived and what happened next?

I'd be interested to hear.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'm interested in a little more detail as to why, if you had proof the guest had unauthorized people at your unit, did airbnbn refuse compensation?  Were there damages?  What did you ask from airbnb and what, if any was the reason they denied you?

I have no idea if it helps, but we put in our rules that no one except for the guests are allowed on the property at all without our prior notice and permission. We live upstairs so it would be almost impossible for someone to sneak in extra people, we had one guest who did sneak in an extra person, but we caught her at it.

Yes, I had proof the guest had unauthorized people in the unit, airbnbn refuse compensation. There were no damages.

I informed airbnb around 10 pm that there are more than 12 people in the home, and case manager said,

Airbnb- “Thank you for reaching out to us. My name is *****, and I am your Case Manager with the Customer Experience Team here at Airbnb. 
As advised, please share with me the photos you have for me to have a reference when I discuss this with your guest. ”

And told me again,

“As discussed over a call, please do send over some additional photographs on this thread so that we can back you up on this claim. Also, can you please let me know if you have any reasonable time frame to have this matter sorted out? This would be a big help for us as well. Thank you very much for extending your patience as we work out on this matter.”

Me, “Thanks for calling me. Please solve it as soon as possible. I need my full money, including tax”.

Airbnb Support- Thank you very much for sending these documentations over. It will definitely help us to file a claim on this. With regard to your reservation, your full payout will be credited to you including the tax, there is nothing to be worried about that one. What we are currently working out right now the fees for the additional guest after 3. I'am already in touch with Christina about this matter and will keep you posted once I have already get an update. I promise to have this matter sorted out the best the I can.

Airbnb Support-I'am still negotiating with Christina McNeil about the extra guest fee. This being said, I will keep you posted once we have already met an agreement. Also, I will be out for the next two days for my days off but you may still go ahead and continue sending all your inquiries throguh this thread so I can read over to those when I get back.

Airbnb Support- I'am sending this message in line with the concern with the reservation with *guest name*. I just wanted to update you on the case. We did catch her up for the extra guest fees during her stay. The supposed amount that needs to be settled from her is $XXX ($XX*10), however, we failed to get any amount from her due to some circumstances. She did mention that she doesn't have such amount and that she is not willing to pay for it as well. This being said, we from Airbnb would like to seek for your understanding on this matter, but we don't want to leave you with nothing as well. What we can do is to cover half of that amount so that we can at least compensate you for it. Please do let me know of your insight with this.

Airbnb Support- I just wanted to get your side on the option that I offer?

Me-That's disappointing,

The reason they denied

Airbnb Support-Thank you very much for extending your patience on this matter. I know how frustrating this situation may be but I hope that we can sort this one out.
This being said, I tried to seek for an approval for your security deposit of $500 but I was not approve as it is already beyond by threshold as a case manager. This being said, I was advised that the maximum that I can offer you on this is the $XXX (half of the extra guest fees).
Please do let me know of your insight on this matter.

Me- I am not feeling supported by Airbnb and their own policies. I did what Airbnb suggest to do and backstabbed me. There is no surety and security to do business with Airbnb. At least send me $500, because legally it is properly listed in the listing.

Airbnb Support- I definitely get your point on this, however the Security deposit works in a way that you can file a claim for it if there are damages on the property after the guest has check out. If you will be able to provide proof of damages we might consider that but on the situation with *guest name* reservation, it is indeed a different case here, and to atleast compensate you for the unpaid extra guest fee, I'am offering you half of the supposed charge that needs to be settled by *guest name*. For the sake of the not leaving you with nothing at all. I hope you do understand that we do also have our maximum threshold and on this case, I have already reach mine as for a case manager.

I have the almost same rules that no one except for the guests are allowed on the property at all without our prior notice and permission.

I live next door, I caught them and report to the Airbnb.

That's just sad.  So the guest just says 'I won't pay' the fee that is listed, and it is proven that the extra guests were there.  It's like none of the rules or polices even matter any more.

They let the 12 people in without paying.   That's the problem.  No,  ABB will not have your back on this if the guest refuses to pay.

BNB told accoridng to their rules, the guest are allow to have day visitors.  The host has to go by therie rules.

I have similar situation and its making me wondering if the house rules really mean anything at all?  Guest can just call and complain and host get penalized??

My guest broke my house rules has over occupancy so I text guest to remind them the  house rules.  They call air b n b to complain say they want to check out early and get remanding days refund. I respond to BNB sure.  BNB came back said the guest changed their mind because they can not find anything cheaper so they want to stay.  And told me If I want to received the additional guest fees I have to provide, evidence, video and documents AND the guests have to agreed to pay.  So I said  because they dont follow the rules, I want them to leave as they have requested.   BNB threat me if  I cancel the reservation, not only I will get penalized as Superhost but also not getting paid at all for their stay.  BNB said according to the contract host signed we give BNB the power to make the final decision.  Does this make sense? 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@TracieandJason0  Clearly breaking rules and you would be due the fee associated with extra guests if you have proof of that loss.  Security deposit and host guarantee are "available" for damages, not for rule breaking.  So did you submit your claim for damages?  Did you charge the guest for the extra overnight guests?  It is a little unclear in your post.

Many hosts, especially those who want control over the security deposit do not find the Air BNB platform a friendly one. Are you also on other platforms?

Julie660
Level 4
Rockford, IL

I have heard about noise detecting devices such as Noise Aware and Party Squasher.  I haven't used them, but what the heck.  An ounce of prevention...

Julie

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suneet0   You can't use the security deposit for house rule breaking. You could have claimed on it and probably gotten something if you had claimed for extensive cleaning time, but not the extra guests. That is up to the individual host to deal with, in whatever manner they use. It's abyssmal that a guest can just have extra guests and refuse to pay. Oh, she can't afford it, poor thing. She should have considered that before she invited 12 extra people in. I hope you at least took Airbnb up on the offer to pay half.