Can I require that someone in the booking party be 30 or over?

Ann682
Level 2
Claremont, CA

Can I require that someone in the booking party be 30 or over?

I'm new to AirBnb so am unclear on the "age discrimination" policy.  I have a large, valuable home that sleeps 10.  So it's often rented by large groups. I do not wish to rent to groups where everyone is under 30 as it's not a house for parties, bachelorettes, etc.  Am I allowed to specify this?  I can on VRBO but I'm a little unclear what the rules are here.  Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ann682 Yes, if your hoa or home insurance requires this from you then you are allowed

Ann682
Level 2
Claremont, CA

I don't have those restrictions imposed on me; it's just a personal preference.  Is there a difference?  Sounds like yes.  If a group of 21-year-olds want to rent I am required to allow them to even if that's not the kind of guest group I want?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ann682 

You can allways decline a request, but if you do this too often, it will affect your acceptance rating.

@Emiel1 @Ann682 This is misleading. If you EVER decline a guest SOLELY based on their age or the age of the other members of their party then there is a very high likelihood that ABB will remove your listing. 

You must have rules that address what behaviors are and aren’t acceptable. ABB expects that these things will be true of ANY guest you host. So according to abb, if you will host 8 30YOs then you have to also be willing to host 8 18YOs. Guests can be poorly behaved at any age. A well-written listing/house rules and good supervision are your best strategies for safeguarding your place from abb guests. 

Good luck. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Ann682 @Emiel1 @Kelly149 

Most people are generally responsible.

You can always let your local Police know there's going to be a party, or ask the intending Guests what security measures are going to be in place & who the security company is.

That said, a party can simply be a very small gathering of any type of people, eg church, family etc.

We all need to stop & reflect on how we were at 21 & how we would feel in the people concerned shoes and how we behaved at that age!!

All the best