Cancelation and refund

Answered!

Cancelation and refund

Hello, We are wondering about full refunds for late cancellaion basd on Compassionate Grounds?  We had  family members gathering from mutliple locations and some booked airbnb.  Now a sad turn of events, and our Father / Grandfather is imminently and Terminaly ill and the family vaction together is cancelled.    We have notified the host and requested a full refund based on compassioante grounds.  As our stay is scheduled for less then 7 days away and the host had a 50% refund policy in place - is it reasonable to request and expect this on these comapssionate grounds -  a  medical document can be provided if requested.  thanks for the help 

1 Best Answer

@DonnaRose0 there is no "Compassionate Grounds" policy, but there is an "Extenuating Circumstance" policy (so that is the term you should use when talking to customer support).

The Extenuating Circumstance policy includes:

• Unexpected death or serious illness of a host, guest or immediate family member (spouse/partner, child, parent, legal guardian, grandparent, or sibling)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

Contact Airbnb customer support and let them know about the Extenuating Circumstance and ask what can be done. They will guide you through the process.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

@DonnaRose0 there is no "Compassionate Grounds" policy, but there is an "Extenuating Circumstance" policy (so that is the term you should use when talking to customer support).

The Extenuating Circumstance policy includes:

• Unexpected death or serious illness of a host, guest or immediate family member (spouse/partner, child, parent, legal guardian, grandparent, or sibling)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

Contact Airbnb customer support and let them know about the Extenuating Circumstance and ask what can be done. They will guide you through the process.

Thank you Mathew, that is helpful - i will look into it.  We are presently waiting to hear back from the host to see if they will refund any amount.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@DonnaRose0  Am sorry for the sad state of affairs. Please realize that the host may not be able to rebook those dates on such short notice- lots of hosts will agree to a full refund if they are able to rebook the dates, some not. Or airbnb may give you a full cancellation. 

thankyou Sarah, Can you advise me how I might go about claiming the full refund from Airbnb and not the host? 

@DonnaRose0  Do what @Matthew285 wrote above.