Cancelations fees

David64
Level 4
Yarmouth, ME

Cancelations fees

Having had a very successful Airbnb that I sold over a year ago after acquiring a new property I was excited to start with Airbnb again. Upon selling  the old property I had a few reservations that were about 200 days out. After consulting with Airbnb I canceled the existing reservations after reaching out to the travelers and providing them with the new owners contact information. All of the reservations were picked up by him. My new Airbnb went on line last thurs and was booked up fast. Waiting on my first payout today I noticed that I am being charged $200. in cancelation fees from my previous listing. I just called Airbnb and am told I will get a call back after they investigate. Rather upset having never had a problem with my previous Airbnb now on my very first guest with my new listing Airbnb is really giving me heartache. Anyone else ever experienced this?? if so was there a satisfactory outcome?

3 Replies 3
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@David64  The issue is that you canceled the bookings instead of asking Airbnb to cancel the bookings for you.

The customer support gave you the answers is not the way how the Airbnb system operates. Any cancellation made by hosts would incur penalties. There is no way for a computerized system to distinguish between a cancellation made with valid reasons by a host and a cancellation made with no valid reasons by a host. 

Therefore, the appropriate cancellation if you have valid reasons is to be made by Airbnb directly.

David64
Level 4
Yarmouth, ME

I canceled the reservations per instruction from Airbnb. Since the property was being sold and my account was being closed. I started a new account with a new property and they linked them together. Airbnb has now reversed the fees and admitted it was their mistake. 

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@David64  Great! I am glad to know that Airbnb reversed your cancellation fees. It seems that they are reasonable sometimes.