Canceling as a host...

Canceling as a host...

My very first hosting experience - A guest requested a three day booking with a question. I approved the booking and answered the question. The guest then requested that I cancel the booking as they had changed their mind. I did so foolishly not realizing I would be penalised ($) as well as having the period blocked on my calendar which happens to be a busy long weekend in my city. Very unimpressed with this first hosting experience! Don't know how to unblock the calendar plus a fine - not happy!

4 Replies 4
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Steve67  First you need to contact Airbnb and explain the situation. Tell Airbnb that the guest really was only inquiring and had no intention of making a reservation and that you cancelled at their request.  Hopefully the discussion between you and the guest is on Airbnb's message thread so they can see the exchange of messages. 

Second, sounds like your guest is a newbie as well.  Unfortunately some guests send a reservation request with questions when they should have sent an inquiry instead.  I had a guest, a Super Host no less, send me a reservation request when really all she wanted to do was ask questions before making a real booking.  In the end I had to ask her to cancel her request until she knew whether or not she really wanted to make the reservation.  Happens all the time, unfortunately.  You need to "read between the lines" to determine what guests who really don't understand the system really want.  

As I'm sure you now know, cancelling a reservation has serious consequences for a host so you should never cancel on a guest's behalf.  

Hope Airbnb resolves this favorably on your behalf!

Thanks Clare. All sorted through the Airbnb help desk. I phoned support and they rang me back within 90 minutes. Because It was my first booking attempt they were very understanding and refunded the fee plus reinstated the dates on my calendar. Looking forward to happy times ahead with Airbnb... Thanks for your assistance! Steve

Kris12
Level 6
Pattaya, Thailand

During the cancellation process you are also warned that you will get punished for cancelling the booking. So there is no one to blame but yourself.

NEVER cancel a booking, let the guest pay for their own mistakes.

Thanks Kris. All sorted. As a newbie I don't need a lecture...