Cancellation after misunderstanding of rules

Brenda31
Level 1
San Rafael, CA

Cancellation after misunderstanding of rules

I requested to book an apartment, the host accepted, then I thought I would get a chance to accept or decline.  That didn't happen - I was just booked.  The host has a strict cancellation policy, so I only get 50% back even though I cancelled just a few hours after my request was accepted.  

I already messaged the host in the hopes he'll refund more.  I also wanted to email or call Airbnb to complain that their process is unclear, however I can only find help menus and this forum, but no way to contact Airbnb.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks - I'm bummed about this experience.

1 Reply 1
Enda0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Brenda31,

I'd be bummed too. But all is not lost.

First off, you made an request to book, so your host has to respond with accept or decline. 

I think what you wanted to do was make an enquiry by chooing 'Contact Host' on the profile. Then the host can either decline, ask for more information or give you a pre-approval. The pre-approval means the host is happy to have you if you wish - you have 24 hours to book if you wish.

As you didn't seem to understand the system, there is a good chance that Airbnb will be sympathetic. 

Finding them is tricky. I found them here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/contact_us

Scroll down past the boxes and there was a button with "My host wasn't able to answer my question". See what happens there. 

There's also an 'Urgent' button higher up on that page you could consider.

Hope that's helpful!

Enda