Need for a new hosting category

Isabelle3
Level 5
Leura, Australia

Need for a new hosting category

I wish (and have asked many times to AirBnB witout action being taken) the creation of a new category would occur as my property is neither a Private Room nor an Entire House, rather an independent apartement with a shared kitchen and dining room.  More and more hosts advertise holiday rentals on AirBnB and although it's very clearly stated on my listing that I live onsite - some guests jaws drop in disapointement when they realise they are home sharing.  They DO NOT READ the listings descriptions.   Most guests love the interaction, sometimes, when a couple book for a celabration such as wedding anniversary I go to the smoke (the big town - in my case Sydney) to give them privacy. 

10 Replies 10
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I think your listing is slightly misleading. The heading says "independant apartment" when in fact it is an independant suite with access to your kitchen.  To me an "independant apartment" does have some sort of cooking facilities, if not more than a kitchenette.

Thank you Marit Anne for your suggestion - made the change to suite.   I kept kitchen facilty in my description after previous discussion with AirBnB as guests are welcome to use my very well equipped kichen.  Thanks all for your insight. 

How do you get to see my listing?  I can't see yours

@Isabelle3

I click on your photo and and find your profile.  Under profile there is a link to your listing (s).

tried that before - doesn't work for me 😞

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Isabelle3...And how I would love to be in that fabulous part of the Blue Mountains instead of the 40c heat we have been having here!!!

cheers.....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Isabelle3 Hi there again Isabelle.....If you want to see another hosts 'listing' you must be 'logged-on'. If you are not, you will be able to see their profile, but not their listing. Hey Isabelle, I looked at your listing and it looks fabulous! You have put a massive amount of effort into it and it is so tastefully done, it's a credit to you.....But....but....but, you do clasify it as 'Entire home/apartment' and possum, you can't do that!!! It shares facilities with the main part of the residence. Now that you know what to do, if you look at my profile you will see that I clasify my cottage as a 'private room' because it shares facilities with the main residence! Sure it is self contained, there is a whole heap of garden between it and the main house, and you won't run into a stranger in the hall on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but, it only has a small kitchenette and it shares the laundry (although laundries don't really count) so....it's a private room. Most guests are agreeably surprised when they arrive and find they are not sharing the space with someone else. But Isabelle, that's the difference, my self contained cottage is called a 'Private Room', while your beautiful shared space is called an 'Entire home'....so I can understand guests being a bit 'uppity' when they find out that the kettle, toaster, iron and fridge are not just for them. Hey please, I am not criticising you....my God, you have got the runs on the board...but you can see what I mean, can't you!.... cheers....Rob

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

And it is listed as having a kitchen under amenities, so when potential guests do a search for properties with kitchen, yours will come up.  

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

As you describe, your listing is  Private Room with a shared space. If it has a private entrance, you can certainly mention this, but I don't see the need for a separate category, as they would still share your living area, as with any other private room situation.

Your listing incorrectly states this as entire house. You should fix this right away to avoid confusion.

Claudia129
Level 2
Jacksonville, OR

I agree there should be more categories. I have a lock off apartment, one bedroom apartment in the lower level of my house and it has to fall into the entire house category since Airbnb lumps it into entire house/apartment listing as there are only 3 categories to choose from. Then some people downgrade me on accuracy when they discover  I live on the upper level and they think they will be there by themselves even though I clearly explain that in my description, but some people overlook it.