Charging extra for dogs

Lynn170
Level 2
Cassington, United Kingdom

Charging extra for dogs

Hi I’ve recently listed my property and am willing to accept well behaved pets but would like to charge extra for this.  I can’t work out how to add this to my listing and how much would be a reasonable extra cost.

Thanks

lynn

15 Replies 15
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Lynn170. YouYou must put it in the house rules/description and then when such a guest books, request money using that option or through the Resolution Center.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lynn170   You have a lovely home listed and I wish you the best success.  As for "pets allowed", there are many good reasons not to do that but if you want to, you must have clear rules about the pet or pets. 

1. Specify that prior permission must be obtained.
  2. Determine size and number of pets and if you allow cats, dogs, birds, etc.
  3. Have clear rules about whether the pet can be left alone in the house.
  4. Have a large enough security deposit to cover damage by the pet.  Even well-behaved dogs will have "accidents" when subjected to travel.
  5. In addition to rules which guests might not stop to read, add under "what guests must know" the requirement to gain prior permission for pets.  The guest must acknowledge reading this during the booking process.

As to how much you charge, do your own research for your area by looking at other homes that allow pets.  You could also look at what local pet friendly hotels charge.

I am a dog and cat lover and have a dog in my home.  I will not allow other animals in my home.  Every owner thinks their dog or pet is an angel.  If you allow pets then people with pet allergies will not book your space.  Look at the many discussion threads on this topic as a good source of education.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lynn170 I agree totally with @Linda108 ... and like she and @Marzena4 said, you should state in your house rules that you will charge extra for dogs .

It is hard to tell you how much... we used to take dogs and charged just 10€ extra cleaning fee per stay with pet bowls and treats provided. My friend goes skiing every year in Italy with a dog and she was charged at least 10€ per day for a small dog and hosts didn't provide dog bed or bowls or anything. So, it is up to you and your competition in your area.

We don't host dogs any more because of very low demand (just 2 in a year) so it may be that it would put off more guests then it would attract. Try and see.

I know everywhere is different. We are hosting from california.  Doubling the cleaning fees for animals is acceptable here. Reason, no matter how much a traveler cleans their place, a deep clean is needed after every stay to get rid of excess hair.  Airbnb should add an animals the fees list. separate the fees. State how many cats or dogs allowed., add  Pet cleaning fees, (not refundable )and carpet /flooring and and furniture damage fees (refundable) If it does not pertain to the tenants. Then in rules explain why that one may not be refunded, especially, if furniture or flooring is damaged. Explain in more detail in the rules. and it  should be listed added under security deposit, or cleaning deposit. before Management fees or Linen fees if the host even charges for that service. at our complex the  last two are included in the security and /or cleaning deposits.  people that come here with animals , love their animals and expect to pay deposits. 

Colette130
Level 2
Skidbrooke, United Kingdom

I also think pets should be charged for.  I do accept two small dogs or one medium dog only.  I think Airbnb should add this so we can charge extra per pet up to our limit.  Pets do cause damage and lots of extra cleaning. 

I am seriously thinking of not allowing pets next year but it would be a shame as the area we live in is ideal for dog walking etc.

It would be good for Airbnb to have a host suggestion area where we could vote for changes to the website design and terms.

I agree, their should be a check point and amount for dogs and or cats. Up to certain amount.

Plus rules regarding that the animals is spayed/neutered and up on shots.

Add charges if carpets need to be replaced. Have the amounts upfront. If it is in the rules, it seems like more of a hidden cost. We have studios that are pet friendly and ones that do not have animals allowed do to allergies. Airbnb should add pet deposits and explanation as to what is refundable & what is not. We don't charge additional management fees or linens fees. but again,  pet fees need to be optional just the same. I have many contractors that travel with companion animals. We are located in California. 

Aurora52
Level 4
Miami, FL

I accept dogs to.I charge cash at arrival and give to my cleaners.

I charge 200$ per entire stay 

Do you mention in your rules? do you think it should be also listed in the fee section? 

Rebecca683
Level 2
Loveland, OH

Aurora do you get customers to pay that? 

David3950
Level 1
Durham, NC

I am relatively new to hosting and generally very happy with Airbnb. However, I am shocked that you can't enable an option in the booking process to pay for dogs. If you booked a hotel (e.g., Premier Inn), you tick a box for dogs and pay extra when booking. Why can't Airbnb have this ?
I have made it crystal clear in the description and in other places that you must request prior permission for dogs but so many people seem incapable of reading English or just ignore on purpose. Then you have the hassle of asking them for a payment which is between you and the guest rather than via Airbnb.
As many of us hosts as possible should push Airbnb to give this option.

I agree!

Ian-and-Jane0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I would like to charge extra for dogs to cover additional cleaning but there isn’t an option to add this.  We live in an area which is excellent for walking and are happy to welcome one or two dogs and so

far have had no problems other than some extra cleaning . 

Jim554
Level 2
Oxford, MS