Charging guests when they break the rules

Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Charging guests when they break the rules

Hello everyone! I've been on Airbnb for a while now and due to several experiences I have decided to:

* Remove the security deposit to be more appealing to guests

* Remove cleaning fee and just include it in my price

* Add in my listing description that an additional fee will be charged if: they lose the keys (they are expensive safety keys), if they bring sand into the house (as there are many spots to clean before entering) and if they leave the A/C on when they  leave or use the A/C with windows/doors open.

I was reading a post about someone that charged additional electricity fee and read a reply saying that this is against Airbnb policies. So I wonder, are additional "screw-up" charges also against Airbnb policy? (Losing the keys, leaving AC on or excessive dirtiness).

Thank you for your input!

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ok.... a few thoughts.

Including the cleaning fee in your nightly rate is ok - some people do that. And, when you think about it hotel's or B&Bs don't charge you a separate cleaning fee. It tends to be stand alone units that charge a separate cleaning fee.

Security deposit: be really sure that you want to remove this. Do you feel it is putting people off? Do you really want to attract people who don't have to commit to a security deposit arrangement?  These threads are littered with emails from hosts who wish they had a security deposit in place to easily remedy small damages. Remember the security deposit is there to cover the items you then mention, like lost keys, excessively dirty guests, etc

You can certainly put in your listing that a charge (and you should specify how much) will be charged if keys are lost. However, as you have no security deposit in place then it's up to the guest's good will to pay you as AirBnB will not be holding anything.

You also run the risk of having so many additional chargeable items, sand, open windows, ac, electricity, etc.. that people will just see it as a problem host. (and as I say, no way of collecting that charge anyway without a deposit in place)

When I started Airbnb the security deposit was charged to guests and then returned, that's why I removed it, I felt it was an excesive measure to those who do no damage as it has happened just a couple of times in this two years I've been hosting. 

I didnt realise that happend in the past - today, guest don;t pay the security deposit up front. It's just an agreement that a charge could be made against their card up to a specific amount if there was a claim. So there is no increased cost for them in terms of what is charged up front.

If it has changed then I am adding the security deposit ASAP. Thanks!!!

About the cleaning fee - honestly it doesn't make much of a difference if you have a cleaning fee or not. When a guest is searching for an accomodation, the prices that show up already incorporate reservation fees and cleaning fee. So if your place is priced right, it doesn't make much of a difference at the initial stage. If you priced your room at $50 per night, plus $20 cleaning fee, and a min stay of 4 nights, the guest will see the price of approximately $60 a night. You'll see the breakdown of fees right before making the reservation but not at the time you are looking for a place.

Now it's up to you as a host what price you want to set for your listing, just take a look around you what the going rates are. 

And it is a smart move to add the security deposit back on your requirements. 

I was recently booking on airbnb as a guest, that's a different experience than being a host 🙂 

The security deposit is back on. Since I live very close to the bus station a lot of people arriving from their journey through the Riviera Maya or about to go book me for just one night. That's why I just adjusted my price. I've been a guest myself a few times and I noticed that I would book a place with no cleaning fee or security deposit rather than a place that had those. That's why I took them off. When faced to decide between two perfectly located spots with great reviews I would choose the one without cleaning fee and/or security deposit.