Check-Out Procedure Regarding Bedding

Answered!

Check-Out Procedure Regarding Bedding

Would like to get perspective on other hosts' procedures regarding bedding upon guests' checkout.  Our checkout instructions ask that guests strip sheets and pillowcases off the beds they have used, and place them and all used towels in the bathtub for laundering.  I specifically did not use the word "bedding" because bedspreads, quilts, etc.,  in my opinion, do not need to be laundered after each and every guest--especially when you have back-to-back, same-day checkouts/check-ins.  (Obviously if they are soiled or stained, they are laundered immediately).

We had a young couple with kids check out yesterday.  Because our cleaner was unavailable, my husband and I went to clean last night.  We found that the guests had not only put the sheets, pillowcases and towels in the bathtub, but also they had put every single blanket and comforter (totaling 7), every single bedspread (3), and pillow shams (3) in the tub.  They had even taken blankets from the living room that are folded over the couch and loveseat and put them in the bathtub.  The worst thing is that they had also taken a pillow off one of the beds and put it in the bathtub.  Our instructions do not ask that guests do this.

I sent the guests a polite message saying that we appreciated their leaving our home so clean and spotless, but that putting every single item of bedding (including a pillow) in the tub could have been very problematic if we had guests checking in yesterday afternoon after their morning checkout.  The turnaround cleaning would have taken too much time for the next guests to check in on time. 

She apologized, and explained that they had stayed at an Airbnb once before and the host gave them a very bad review because they had stripped the sheets and pillowcases ONLY, and not every shred of bedding.  She went on to explain that all Airbnb bookings must be done in her name because no one will allow her wife to book because of that bad review.  

It just seems unnecessary to me that (1) every shred of bedding needs to be laundered after each and every guest, and (2) if a host does launder every bedspread, quilt, blanket, etc., after each and every guest, it seems harsh that a guest would get a review that was so bad, it precluded her from booking through Airbnb in the future.  

[My opinion regarding what my guests did:  I feel it is possible that their young children wanted to "help" with the checkout process, and they "helped" by stripping the beds and putting everything they possibly could into the tub.  I believe an adult would never have tossed a pillow into the tub for laundering, and I believe an adult would not have removed blankets folded over the backs of the couch and loveseat and tossed them into the tub.  But I could be wrong.]

They were otherwise very good guests, so there's that.  My questions are:  What are others' thoughts on laundering bedspreads, quilts, etc. after each and every guest, and if you did require that, would you give a guest a review that was so bad because they did not completely strip the beds, that it precluded them from booking via Airbnb?

1 Best Answer

@Bruce-And-Patty0 then to answer your question - we only have blankets and we put them in covers, I don't know the specific name for those, and we only wash the covers between each guests and once a month the blankets. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bruce-And-Patty0  I think it's absurd to give a guest a bad review for something like that. As with your guest, they were called out for not stripping ALL the bedding before, so they wanted to err on the side of caution when staying at your place.

I happen to think that asking guests to strip bedding at all is weird. How long does it take to strip off the sheets? A minute per bed? Why ask guests to do that? Also, it is easier to see any marks or stains if the bedding is left on.

There are many hosts here who are of the opinion that all bedding, including comforters, duvet covers, even the mattress pad, absolutely need to be laundered between each and every guest. I'm not in that camp myself- I don't wash those things every time, but in my case, I only host one guest at a time in a private room in my home, I can hear almost every guest showering in their bathroom before bed, so I know they are clean people, and there aren't multitudes of people sitting around on the bed.

I read that otels only wash the bedspreads a couple times a year, and I doubt they wash the blankets every time.

@Sarah977  I understand why you may think it is weird to ask guests to strip beds--you host one guest at a time in a private room in your home.  However, we have three beds available in a completely separate, single-family home an hour away from our residence, and guests can sleep in whatever bed they choose.  If they strip the beds, at least my cleaner knows that the intact beds were not slept in and therefore, the sheets are still clean and do not need to be washed.  Not all of our beds are slept in every time guests are renting.  Furthermore, and more importantly, when guests see that we ask that they strip the beds, they are guaranteed that we are not simply making the beds without laundering the sheets.  Many hotels here in the US have been caught doing that very thing.  The issue is not the time it takes to strip a bed.  The issue is showing guests that they are guaranteed clean sheets each and every time.

BTW, I did not mention in my initial post that I gave the guests an excellent review.  They were very good guests and I would host them again.  They left the home spotless.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Bruce-And-Patty0 we do not launder every bedspread, quilt, blanket etc. every time. In our vacation rentals we request guests to strip sheets and in our home guest suite we do not. In any case, knowing that host expectations vary wildly,  I would always give guests the benefit of the doubt in this area and not bring up any deviation either directly or in a review.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Bruce-And-Patty0 we have 4 separate beds and also guests don't use all of them but I wash the bedding anyway and I would hope that other places that I stay in would do the same. Sometimes they leave their suitcases or other stuff on the beds they are not using and the beds are still made when they leave but that doesn't mean the bedding is clean. Also, guests can sleep in every bed and just strip as many beds as there are guests and just make the other ones... how will you know? Also, if you ask them to remove the bedding that doesn't mean you won't put back the same unwashed bedding so it's not some kind of evidence actually. Just do it yourself, it takes a minute and you won't have these kind of misunderstandings. 

@Ana1136 I definitely understand what you are saying, but we ask that they put the used sheets in the bathtub with all of their used towels, wet used facecloths, etc., and I cannot imagine guests thinking we would consider putting damp sheets back on the beds.  I would rather have them know that upon their arrival, they are sleeping in fresh, clean sheets.  As I mentioned, hotels have been caught not changing sheets between guests. 

You are right--it takes a minute (or less) to strip a bed, my cleaner would definitely do it, but as I mentioned--the issue is not the time it takes.  That said, I think we have gotten a little off track.  My question was whether or not hosts wash bedspreads, quilts, blankets, and such after each and every guest.  

@Bruce-And-Patty0 then to answer your question - we only have blankets and we put them in covers, I don't know the specific name for those, and we only wash the covers between each guests and once a month the blankets. 

Thank you, @Ana1136 !  This is very helpful information, and I greatly appreciate your input!  : )

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Bruce-And-Patty0I do wash my duvet cover/pillow shams between every guest. I also wash the mattress pad between each guest, and vacuum the mattress itself every other stay. Duvets themselves get drycleaned every month or so.I keep a laundry basket in the ensuite and 95% of guests put their towels/facecloths in there. Very few folks strip the bed, but I don't ask them to. Certainly NONE of my guests have stripped the duvet cover or mattress pad.

I really can't see myself getting shirty if a guest didn't strip the bed, even if I had asked though. Giving a poor review for not stripping the bed seems excessive to me. As a guest, if my host asked me to "strip the bed" on checkout, I must say it wouldn't occur to me that they meant the duvet cover or blankets. I'd be in for a bad review too. Oh dear.

Paul6741
Level 2
Sturbridge, MA

Our situation is that we have 4 beds in our cottage, a queen, a double and 2 twins. We just had guests that were a couple, a 3 year old and in infant. When we came in to clean, we found that all of the beds had been used.

Our next reservation is a couple who we believe should be using only 1 bed, yet we stripped and remade all off the beds.

In your opinions, should we be only making up a bed for the couple and leaving the other 3 unmade? We are constantly stripping beds that we feel should not have been used and that people are taking advantage of what is there. What are others doing?