Check in and check out

Answered!
Amy844
Level 2
Valenzuela, Philippines

Check in and check out

Hi.

I just recently listed my place this December 2018 and I currently have a long-term guest staying with me. I checked him in briefly, showed the place and showed him where he could find things he may need during his stay.

How do you check in and check out your guests? What is your procedure? Do you have a checklist?

Do you show them that all appliances and things in the place work and are functioning by turning them on at check in and check them again at check out?

Please share your tips specially check out, which is crucial. 

Do you check on water and electric meters? Do you check missing damaged items in front of them?

Thanks.

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amy844

Hi there - what are the most important things to you, and what things do guests often do wrong, or misunderstand.

For us it was how to lock the door (it's a strange locking mechanism) - so we physically walk guests through locking the door and get them to do it. After that we point out a few things and then say if you have any questions about how anything works then just call or text me on.... You should already as part of your preparation have checked light bulbs,heating, hot water etc..

At check out, we say was everything ok, did you have any problems - from time to time a guest will say, oh sorry but we broke a glass, can we pay for it? No big deal, we set a small amount aside from each booking to cover accidental damage such as this.

When leaving guests are often on a tight schedule, so you can't really expect them to be happy if you take out a check list and start testing every appliance. There is a certain amount you need to take on trust and also a certain amount that is the cost of doing  business.

Also it is important to remember that appliances and items suffer wear and tear, so things do come to the end of their life. It's not always the guest's fault if something happens.

Just keep an eye out for anything significant on check out and raise it with the guests then, or via the platform if you notice it once they have gone.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amy844

Hi there - what are the most important things to you, and what things do guests often do wrong, or misunderstand.

For us it was how to lock the door (it's a strange locking mechanism) - so we physically walk guests through locking the door and get them to do it. After that we point out a few things and then say if you have any questions about how anything works then just call or text me on.... You should already as part of your preparation have checked light bulbs,heating, hot water etc..

At check out, we say was everything ok, did you have any problems - from time to time a guest will say, oh sorry but we broke a glass, can we pay for it? No big deal, we set a small amount aside from each booking to cover accidental damage such as this.

When leaving guests are often on a tight schedule, so you can't really expect them to be happy if you take out a check list and start testing every appliance. There is a certain amount you need to take on trust and also a certain amount that is the cost of doing  business.

Also it is important to remember that appliances and items suffer wear and tear, so things do come to the end of their life. It's not always the guest's fault if something happens.

Just keep an eye out for anything significant on check out and raise it with the guests then, or via the platform if you notice it once they have gone.

Amy844
Level 2
Valenzuela, Philippines

Hi Gerry and Rashid. I will take note of your tips and thank you for sharing your practice and experience. (:

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Amy844

you will find out very soon with what your guests struggle the most and what they are repeatedly doing wrong. They forget to lock the entrance door on the way out, they leave the windows open while they are not present etc...

Then you will concentrate on those areas during your check-in.

My guests self check out because I am offsite host. I show them how to do it and they have instructions written on the entrance door too, just in case.

I check if everything is OK when they are gone, during my cleaning process.

I accidentally tapped on the Resolved button. I hope more responses still come in. Tips and sharing are all still welcome from the community members, please. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Branka and Silvia.