Check-in: meeting guests vs self check-in

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

Check-in: meeting guests vs self check-in

Most of time I personally greet guests for check-in. Occasionally I asked guests to do self check-in when I am not available. In either case, most of time there are little complaints about the check-in.

Recently I had a guest complaining about the check-in because I was not able to meet her at check-in time. She rated me 2 for Check-in and 3 for Communication with the same complaint because of self check-in.

Here is what she left in private message at review time. "It would be nice if you greeted your out of town guests personally. I had a lot of trouble with opening the lockbox, which was extremely overwhelming, especially since I was a visitor and no one was there to greet me."

I sent her self check-in instruction one day before her arrival and I also texted her about 15 minutes after her check-in. In my self check-in instruction, I mentioned that call me anytime if there are any questions. But I did not receive any phone calls and she told me that everything was fine after she received my message 15 min after her check-in.

For added security, I do have three locks on my house doors. Two locks with the same key on the steel door. And one keyless entry lock. For a self check-in, I put keys (house door key and bedroom door key) in a lockbox which has a code. Therefore, there are two codes and two keys for four locks on three doors. It could be difficult for guests who is not fluent in English. But for people who are educated in the US like this guest, it should not be an issue if she could read the self check-in instruction carefully. Or she could just give me a call if she faced the difficulty. She just hit me with  very low ratings in Check-in and Communication category. Not sure why she rated low in Communication when she actually mentioned in her public review "... He checked on me periodically throughout my stay...".

In her feedback for Check-in rating. She wrote "Thanks for being a great host. It would be nice if you greeted your out of town guests personally. I had a lot of trouble with opening the lockbox, which was extremely overwhelming, especially since I was a visitor and no one was there to greet me."

In her feedback for Communication rating. She wrote "I would appreciate being greeted by the host when visiting from another state. Not doing so makes it not as welcoming, as I wasn’t familiar with CA. That makes for a more personal experience. Also, without the host to let me in the lockbox instructions were very confusing and the door was too difficult to open."

I would like to hear from other hosts about your check-in experience with your guests.

(1) Do you prefer self check-in or meeting the guests?

(2) How much effort/attention do you put on door locks for security purpose? 

(3) What kind of door locks do you use? 

(4) How many locks do you use?

32 Replies 32
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I really do not like complicated check in situations as a guest, but a host has to do what he has to do.  I did not see any negative reviews in either listing, so I imagine she gave you a good review and overall rating, right?

I must meet all my guests even though I could use a lock box because I have a dog and must introduce her to all guests.  Sometimes that is inconvenient, but it usually sets a positive tone for the stay.  

@Linda108  Her public review is not too bad. But did mention the door locks.

She is a host as well but has only one review. She did rate 5 in overall category. But checkin and communication categories were very low due to the self check-in. Those feedback messages are all private.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike1034  I don't have self-check -in, for several reasons. And it sounds like your guest just made these comments in private feedback, so I'd just politely and privately answer her, saying you're sorry she found the lock-box instructions overwhelming, that you haven't encountered that with any of your other guests and that if she had preferred to be greeted, you wish she'd have let you know that beforehand so something could have been arranged, and that you also don't quite understand why she didn't just call you, as you had told her to, if she was having trouble getting in.

We often wonder why a guest didn't mention something during their stay, or call us if they were experiencing an issue, but hosts also often shy away from confronting a guest about breaking a house rule, or not being sufficiently communicative- I think it's just human nature, at least with some people, to be reticent to say something in the moment. Being afraid that it will sour the stay can be an attitude from both sides. So people suck it up and then just mention it in the review or private feedback, as they aren't uncomfortably face-to-face.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mike1034 

we do both 

self check in- via collection code being presented to a local business who then hands the keys over (and check via cameras displayed outside)

host greets you 

we used to only do “host greet you” as it allows us to physically explain the main points people get confused on, despite being written in the house manual, notice board in communal areas etc and highlighted upon reservation being confirmed vie email.

Truthfully we stopped as it was feeding into our own time, we had up to 4 different sets of guest coming on the same day. An we missed dinner plans, meetings, appointments etc- despite being very specific with our expectations as a host ie ETA and how to find us etc. It took me about 7 months to have one hot meal- no interruptions. At some point my dinners were always set for 11pm as that’s when I finished with Airbnb and work obligations etc- not trying to come across as complaining but it was what I was personally going through. 

I think a great thing that works for us is day before the guest arrives we send out check in information- i don’t know how specific you are being but this is how we do it:

step by step instructions 

map links 

links to the house 

photos 

contact details 

check in times 

ask receipt and understanding of points detailed.

codes etc

So far, less trouble- and we see who did not read the instructions as they get lost (even though both locations are separated by a cross road- it’s very hard to get lost) and a  4* in check in because they got lost is not going to kill me, my buzz for 5 mins but then I move on... given anyone the power to affect you that much is not healthy (IMO)x

ultimately as in anything do what best suits you and your schedules and good luck! 🙂

@Yadira22  I can imagine how long your self checkin instruction with photos is. 🙂

I guess that some guests don’t read because the instruction is too long. But it cannot be avoided if you want to clearly explain the steps

(1) to locate lockbox

(2) to open lockbox with code

(3) to open door lock with a key

(4) to open Key pad lock with code

(5) how to lock doors from inside and outside 

(6) how to get to the room which the guest book

(8) some other basic information about amenities 

(9) some basic house rules, in my case remove outdoor shoes and leave on the shoe rack

The steps could be added more. I do wish somebody could provide me with something which is short, clear, and cover all necessary information for checkin. 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike1034 lol 😂 

147 words and 2 photos to make it as fool proof as possible. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

My preference is always self check-in. I give my guests a lot of space and privacy and self check-in is a huge factor in that. I let the guest decide how much interaction they need but it's clear that it's up to them to tell me. Almost all guests who want some type of interaction prefer to touch base with me after they get settled inside (they check in on their own) and want little to do with me beforehand. 

"Therefore, there are two codes and two keys for four locks on three doors." That makes my head spin. If others are having difficulties, then I would definitely think about how you can slim that down. If it is just this one guest, then I wouldn't worry about it.

@Emilia42  When it makes your head spin, it probably will make most people head spin:-). That is one of the reasons why I personally greet my guests when I can. After I explain to the guests, they all seem to be able to open the door locks with no issue.

Just for the self checkin, the instruction is pretty long. I guess that I should get @Yadira22 's help to write the instruction within 150 words because she had her self check-in instruction with 147 words.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike1034 Is this your indirect way to ask me for help? Send over an overview of what you want to include and I will respond accordingly- let’s see if I can help you. No specific address etc codes is needed just the reference for one- 🙂

@Yadira22I use a saved message for self Check-In instruction. Therefore, I don't have photos attached. The photos can be helpful.

Here is the self check-in instruction I provided

Look for the black lockbox on the lower part of post in the porch entrance. Lockbox code is xxxx. Get the keys and close the lockbox. Use one of the keys to open steel door.

Please note the steps to open the digital lock on the front wood door.
1) enter the code xxxxxx while pulling the door handle toward you;
2) WAIT for 3-4 seconds till you see the green light and hear a long beep.
3) then turn the knob and push the door to open it.

Please note that step 2 WAITING for 3-4 seconds is important. Don’t rush to turn the knob and push the door after entering the code. If first time, you are not able to open the digital lock. Please try the steps above again.

Please remember to lock doors. To lock the digital lock, just push the top lock button. Please don’t enter code when you lock the door.

On the left side, you will see a short hallway after you enter the house. Your bedroom has Home Sweet Home sign. Use the other key to open that lock. Your bathroom is in the hallway.

Door code: xxxxxx
Wi_Fi: CGVM-490
Password: xxxxxx

Would you have any questions, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

This is a short version because I don't have basic house rules added.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mike1034 

I think I should be getting commissions for this- lol! But happy early xmas to you...

Check in information- important, please read

Hello,
Hope you are well.

1. Our Address:
(Add map photo of this and one of the place from outside)

2. Lock box (key collection)

Located: lower part of box at porch entrance (photo)
Code: xxx

Note: one opens steel door and re-lock box once used.

3. Front door

-code:
-enter code whilst door is pulled towards you
-WAIT several seconds for green light and long beep

Note: restart this process if it does not work.

-push the top lock button on the digital lock

5. Bedroom

-On the left side, you will see a short hallway after you enter the house.
-Your bedroom has “Home Sweet Home” sign. (Photo)
-Use the other key to open bedroom lock

6. Wifi
Wi_Fi: CGVM-490
Password: xxxxxx

Any questions, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Enjoy your stay,
Mike” 

141 words- but think you can send a photo of the WiFi and instead add “for security reasons, please lock all key boxes and locks once used- thanks.”

@Yadira22Thanks for your quick feedback!. I like your way of categorizing the instructions. I don't provide address though since it is in guest's itinerary.  But a photo of the outside of the house does help.

We still have a Thanks Giving Day to celebrate before Christmas:-).

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike1034 Fair enough but I add it to make it that extra level of fool proof. Through business I learnt to never make assumptions- Airbnb re-enforces my belief in this. 

I really do hope it helps- space it out so it’s  clearer but overall should be more readable. 🙂

@Yadira22  Yes, it does help. For the spacing, I did hear one guest said that she had to scroll to read the entire message. It is kind of trade off.