City and State license requirements for Pierce County, Washington

Carl-and-Vicki0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

City and State license requirements for Pierce County, Washington

I have just gone live with a whole home in Gig Harbor, Wa and cannot get a clear idea of what is required of the city and state to stay compliant.  Does anyone know the details?  

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Carl-and-Vicki0 To my knowledge, there is no state requirement. And my country (Clark) has no requirements either. You’ll want to look up the regulations for Kitsap, if any. 

Thank you, folks. So I guess as long as Air pays our 9.9% TOT tax we are ok?  In San Diego county we actually have a permit. Any ideas for Pierce County?

Rebecca824
Level 2
Yakima, WA

I am in Yakima County in Washington State. I have a Yakima address so I went to the city and they have a buisness licence requirement but when they looked at my address they said I don't live in the city. That I needed to check at the county level. When I went to the county they said they have never delt with airbnb but because it is a bnb I would need a bed and breakfast licence so going from the city at $250 it went to $900 in the county. I asked if I ran my air bnb with out a licence what would happen. They told me that as long as my neigbors did not complain that nothing would happen and if they did complaine I would be shut down until I got a licence. My house is in a agrucutral area I am surrounded by fruit orchards. I probably do need to ge my licence just to protect myself but so far I have not wanted to shell out the $900.  I want to know if any or all of the other air bnb homes in my area have licences?

Hi Rebecca,

Wondering how you went with this, I'm in Yakima county too and trying to figure out if the licence is really needed and what the consequence of operating without it is.

Jesse

Hello Jesse298 if you do not live in the city, the county advised me that they did not have airbnb in the county that they knew of but that I would need a bed and breakfast licence $900  the city 250 license for an airbnb . Big difference and different requirements. I asked what would happen if I ran our airbnb without a license and they said nothing would happen as long as a neighbor did not complain. I asked what would happen if a neighbor complained and they said I would have to shut down until I got a license and being open without a license would not hurt me getting one. So we have been running for 3 years. PayPal has now said I have to have a business license to continue using them because we make to much money to be considered a cottage business. We have been rented out about 80% of the time we have been open. 

Brenda417
Level 1
Gig Harbor, WA

I am researching the same thing. I did find a short term vacation home affidavit for Pierce county that has requirements and needs a notary it's dated Dec 7, 2018. Do we need to use this? 

Brenda when I find out state requirements I will let you know. As far as Pierce county I am not sure. You may want to contact the county and ask. That and I think there is a chat on the community center for pierce county. Good luck.