City of New Smyrna Beach. No short term rentals.

Chris1910
Level 1
New Smyrna Beach, FL

City of New Smyrna Beach. No short term rentals.

I am an Air bnb host in the city of New Smyrna Beach, Florida. I recently had a code violation notice put on my rental door. When I called the city they said that I'm zoned R2. That means no short term rentals. I know I'm not the only one in my city that this has happened to. I'm looking for others in this situation so that we can have a large enough group to fight City Hall. Lord knows I got no where on my own. I was told that the law has been in effect for a long time and they went going to change it. I have a hotel on the other side of my property fence.  Its Time we get together and fight for our right to Air bnb. 

Chris Moore

16 Replies 16
Chris1910
Level 1
New Smyrna Beach, FL

I know all are out there. Please join the conversation. 

There are many who, like you, have been targeted. Happy to discuss and share information. DM me your email and contact info you would like to be included in communications and updates. 

I know this post was a few months ago but If you aren't currently aware the county passed a motion on 03/16 to stop processing any new Short Term rental complaints  for the next 2 weeks and has asked legal to bring back recommended changes to the current ordinance at the next meeting. The next meeting is March 2nd 2021 and THERE WILL BE A VOTE TO CHANGE THE ORDINANCE. Please show up to show your support so we can get this changed. Let others know and email your district representative. I'm happy to help if you need more information. We are so close to getting this done 

Hi Angela, do you happen to have any new information regarding the ordinance change?

Hello! Could you please email me any thing I can do to help? I have a property in NSB that I would like to rent short term, but apparently I can only rent for 30 days. Doesn't sound fair to have my income controlled by the city.  My email is **

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to share any personal details publicly. You can message each other privately instead.

Becky253
Level 1
New Smyrna Beach, FL

Hey Chris. i have a property too in NSB in Bouchelle Island. How did they know you rented it so short. We do two week rentals. Is that the minimum?

Based on location, you are allowed. 

Bryan-and-Jamie0
Level 1
Delray Beach, FL

I'm looking to purchase a beach home in NSB and would like to open it to Airbnb guests.  I am happy to join this group in some capacity.  Feel free to email me to connect:  **

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to share any personal details publicly. You can message each other privately instead.

We own in Bethune Beach. We have been very successful Airbnb hosts for five years. We have diligently paid all taxes associated with our rentals to the county. We received a letter today from the county telling us to stop renting. We found out we are at least five hosts on our street who have received this communication. Not sure if there’s anything that we can do, but we have nothing to lose by fighting the good fight.

Richard1987
Level 1
New Smyrna Beach, FL

Hello NSB residents.  I wanted to add a bit of clarification here as there are many parts to this.  First off you have to know whether you are in the "City of New Smyrna Beach" or in the unincorporated areas of Volusia County which includes Silver Sands and Bethune Beach. ( Basically everything south of Mi Mexico).

If you are in the City of NSB you are in a Charter City which means you have to follow the ordinances set out by the City and yes those ordinances pre-date the 2011 law passed by the State of Florida regarding short term rental restrictions.

The City of New Smyrna Beach defines a short-term rental as less than 30 days. This does not include Silver Sands, Bethune Beach. Vacation rentals are permitted in the purple area of the zoning map. Locate your property address to see what zone it falls within by looking it up here:

https://www.cityofnsb.com/DocumentCenter/View/8030/Short-Term-Rental-Zoning-Map?bidId=City of New Smyrna Beach Zoning Map

If your property falls outside of the City of NSB in Silver Sands or Bethune Beach and you are being given notice by the Volusia County Code Enforcement Office that you are in violation of operating a Hotel/Motel in a Single Family Zoned area, know that we have a group of homeowners who feel this violates our property rights.

Please DM for details if you would like to be part of our group as we deal with this collectively. Happy to answer any questions.

Hi Richard!

I'm Shannon I own a vacation rental home in the Bethune beach area. I would like to join your group please. you can find me on FB shannon strenke-abayasekera Thank you! 

@Richard1987 

I have a property in silver sands that I am interested in potentially renting but I'm unclear on whether or not this is allowed and whom I would talk to regarding this.  Id be interested in joining the group and learning more about our rights.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Happy to talk more.  Since AirBnb doesn't share contact info, you can reach me through the website:

www.vrhaofvolusia.org

Richard

Hi,

I just bought a house that I want to rent out and I heard about this but I did not think it was real.  Are people just going to go ahead and do it?  What is the fine?

Beth