Cleaning Fee

Answered!
Sarah783
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Cleaning Fee

A host has asked us to pay a cleaning fee in cash after we booked to stay with him. He is now requesting it through airbnb, but it is a fee not previously mentioned or agreed upon.

I wanted to know what the protocol is here. It seems a little off to ask us after we have booked and paid for an extra cleaning fee when he could have easily added it to the original costs under cleaning fee from the outset. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, We have not yet stayed at the location.

1 Best Answer

@Sarah783 - a host cannot ask you for additional funds unless they are disclosed in advance.  On your reservation will be the House Rules you agreed to when you booked.  If it says that a cleaning fee can be added based on some criteria.... it might be there, who knows... he's entitled to collect it. 

If it's not, contact Airbnb right away and let them know you are being asked for additional funds outside of your booking.  You may be able to do this directly via the Resolution Center.  I would also flag the conversation where he's requesting the money on the Airbnb message center. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/251/what-if-a-host-asks-for-more-money

He may still cancel - it could happen anyway if his listing is pulled for asking more cleaning fees in cash - and be prepared to book elsewhere.  Airbnb may be able to help you with this.  

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

How much is he asking? Has he updated his listing after you booked so all other guests also will have to pay - but only this time in the proper way?

It depends I think. Is it a new listing and maybe he forgot to put it on there? 

It is off putting to be asked like that and I would not mind it at all but I would probably accept if the fee if it is small and the place is amazing! 

@Christian0 he is asking €40. He says he writes it in the house rules, I don't remember reading it before. And this makes no sense as there is a cleaning fee for extra costs. Another visiter has already complained about the €40 as it was extra and that the apartment wasn't clean enough for that amount (mould in the shower etc).

It is not a new listing. He has two locations and 118 reviews. I find it off putting as you say, as it feels like an after thought. I don't think the apartment is amazing, but it is in a high demand location (Venice), so suspect this might be the problem. Is there anything I can do? If I refuse to pay it can he cancel our reservation?

Sounds like horrid situation. When are you due to arrive? Depending on the cancellation policy he can cancel on you but Airbnb has an extortion policy he might be violating if you refuse to pay that fee that isn't correctly listed. Rules also say that hosts can't require money outside of the Airbnb system and cleaning fee's are optional but if they are needed, the host will have to add it to the listing so it is billed during the booking proces and while you pay for the entire booking.

If I were you, I'd contact Airbnb support with the risk of you losing this place. But who know's. Perhaps you're not the first who brings this to their attention and if he does this regularly they might suspend his listing. Would that be such a bad thing especially if you can see others have complained about it and the cleanliness has been poor?

Air might even help you find another place now that you feel uncomfortable (as would I)

@Sarah783 - a host cannot ask you for additional funds unless they are disclosed in advance.  On your reservation will be the House Rules you agreed to when you booked.  If it says that a cleaning fee can be added based on some criteria.... it might be there, who knows... he's entitled to collect it. 

If it's not, contact Airbnb right away and let them know you are being asked for additional funds outside of your booking.  You may be able to do this directly via the Resolution Center.  I would also flag the conversation where he's requesting the money on the Airbnb message center. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/251/what-if-a-host-asks-for-more-money

He may still cancel - it could happen anyway if his listing is pulled for asking more cleaning fees in cash - and be prepared to book elsewhere.  Airbnb may be able to help you with this.  

OK thank you very much for your help! I will consider what to do. It was a rare, well priced apartment in Venice whch is why I'm hesitant. I can't remember if the cleaning fee was written in the house rules before or not, but would have thought it needed to be listed properly under the costs, so it can also be calculated and paid for regularly.

Hi Sarah .... I need your advice. We rented an airbnb apartment for 2 months and vacumned the floors and clean the toilets and kitchen before we left. Note: there was only a broken vacumn cleaner and no broom or swiffer for us to use. Afterwards the host told us that the apartment is not cleaned to his expectations. He wanted us to pay Swiss France 200 to get the apartment cleaned again. He sent me a pictures the area which he is not happy about. eg. 1 dirty glass, 1 dirty dish, mirror in the bathroom not wiped, oven which has a dirty baking tray ( which I forgot to clean... it was my mistake ) I volunteered to go in and clean again but he only gave me 1 time slot which is not convenient for me. And he mentioned again that if I can't go in at that specific time, then I have to pay Swiss Francs 200 for the cleaning fee. What should I do ?

@Pauline263 you are not his cleaning crew.

Unless you caused physical damage to the property, he has no right to charge you because of minor cleaning items.

He certainly has no right to demand that you return to the property and do further cleaning.

If I were you I would ignore his demands. If he tries to make a claim via Airbnb, I do not think he has sufficient reason to win any money from you.

Sandra170
Level 2
Miami Beach, FL

Hello,

Has anyone figured out how to be able to get payout as follows: a fixed flat fee cleaning fee to one account and the remaining 20/80 % into 2 different accounts?