Complaint/Report for dirty bedsheets, not cleaned apartment and no wifi

Kamila31
Level 1
Stamford, CT

Complaint/Report for dirty bedsheets, not cleaned apartment and no wifi

Hi, 

To whom may I complain/report about missleading information about place to stay? I was my parents in Cape Town, we booked the place which looked totally different from the reality. Bedsheets were not changed, with clear signs of someone who just jumped out from them, full of hair. We booked place for 3 people and there was no second bed but old moldy sofa with not even prepared set for 3rd person. Toilet and bathroom had someone's hair and were dirty. Therefore, there was no wifi and we had to drive to the restaurant to contact and complaint to the host. Before I was contacted with someone dealing with us on behalf of him on whatsaap. She was rejecting my phone calls and not replying for messages. Later he promised me a full refund however when I asked him to send me at least a screen shot - he stopped replying. We ended up in late evening checking it at hotel which did not make all stay over in decent price. 

Please help me to get my money back and report this person or at least I want to make a comment under the profile. 

2 Replies 2
Karen74
Level 3
Morristown, NJ

You should contact airbnb,  they are the ones to refund your money, not the host.  Let them know the place is not habitable. You have 24 hours from the check in time to make a complaint.  After that, the money is released to the host.  It's not too late, but it becomes more complicated.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Kamila31

I am sorry you had this experience.

Airbnb provides you with advice on what to do if your listing is not as described on your booking confirmation. Have you read this?

It says to contact the host about the situation - which you did . However as Airbnb advises you should keep all communications on their messaging systems - so there is a written record of any discussions between the host and guest.

They also tell you that if the situation can't be resolved you should contact them ASAP but definitely within 24 hours.

My advice:

1. summarise your conversation with the host and his rep on the airbnb message system - about the state of the place and their promise of a full refund. Take screen shots of your what's app conversations

2. Call airbnb now - they are open 24/7 - hopefully you have taken photos of the state of the property which you can share with them.  Ask them to process a full refund as the property was filthy and not as described in the listing.

3. Leave an honest review about the state of place in the review

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.