Concerns about long-term guests

Shelby64
Level 2
Yarmouth, ME

Concerns about long-term guests

Yesterday we received a booking for 3 months that is raising concerns. The guests are immigrating from Germany and our Airbnb will be their first location in the US. Following are the concerns we have and we are looking for advice on how to proceed:

1) The guests Airbnb account is new and doesn't have any previous renting experience (no reviews)

2) The Airbnb account is under a different name than the name the guests are using in messages

3) The guests would like to use our mailing address to set up bank accounts and gain licenses

Any advice on how we should proceed?

8 Replies 8
Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Shelby64 I've had many long-term stay requests and some of your listed concerns have been at play.  The combination of #1 and #2 is a bit concerning, it erodes the core mechanisms that establish trust on the platform. Where some would find #3 alarming, I've actually had a fine experience with this. For example, a healthcare worker moving to the area and trying to get settled. He respectfully asked to use the mailing address for setting up accounts, professional licensing, etc. However, I was comfortable doing this because he had dozens of great reviews, a robust profile, and did not go by a different name than what was stated in his profile.

IMHO if there were at least a few reviews and the name was consistent I would consider accepting. But at this point it sounds a bit risky.

Thank you. Very helpful.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I don't take long term bookings @Shelby64 , but as you accept them, presume it is something that works for you.

I would make the following points;

1. Ask for the full names of all those who are booked to stay

2. Query why the name on the account name is different from the one they booked under

3. I believe in the US you have legal issues for guests staying over a month in terms of your tenancy laws - don't you need to have a tenancy contract in addition to Airbnb?

4. It is normal if you are immigrating to a country to need a mailing address for bank accounts, doctors, schools, official records, work etc

5. Be honest say you are hesitant about accepting a long term booking from someone who is knew to Airbnb. Ask them about plans for their stay, where they are working, why they have chosen your location etc

Thank you Helen. I believe in the US that 6-months is considered long-term and these guests booked for 3 months.

The booking was already confirmed before these red flags were raised, so I have gone back to them asking for this information. If the answers aren't satisfactory, I will flag with Airbnb as I can't cancel now without losing my SuperHost status.

@Shelby64 : I recommend that you tread carefully with your long-term rentals.  Tenancy laws vary from city-to-city and state-to-state.  Living in a specific location for 30 days or longer often activates month-to-month regulations and it can be difficult, if not expensive, to get guests to move out of your rental.  Therefore, my rental is never available for more than 25 days to avoid this in my jurisdiction.

I encourage you to check with your local housing department to better understand your rights as well as your guests'.  

Also, allowing a guest to use your address for establishing residency could be an issue if it ends up s/he is using it to deceive the government or engaged in illegal activities.  I would refer the guest to the USPS for a P.O. Box or one of the mail businesses (e.g. The UPS Store) so your address isn't connected with their potentially questionable actions. 

Proceed carefully as suggested earlier!

Shelby64
Level 2
Yarmouth, ME

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I reached out to Airbnb support and they canceled the reservation without question, so I'm assuming they saw something suspicious with the booking account.

Based on this instance, I have updated our settings so that our instant booking requires more information, and I've set the maximum stay to 30 days.

Richard9
Level 2
Chgo, IL

All three of the conditions are red flags.   Someone wants to establish residency and once established they can get a driver license and thus vote in elections.  Everything about this wrong.