Confirmed guests want to add two people, how do I charge them the extra per person per night fee?

Answered!
Jackie121
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

Confirmed guests want to add two people, how do I charge them the extra per person per night fee?

Sorry in advance as I'm sure this must be answered somewhere else but I've got close to getting the answer but am not quite there either! The guests aren't due to travel for another three months but their booking is confirmed. They'd potentially like to add two more guests to the eight already travelling which is fine because we accommodate up to 10. If and when they confirm they would like to do this, I can't see an option to charge them the extra payment required for the extra per person per night fee, as the original payment has been confirmed and is officially completed. Any thoughts gratefully received! Thanks in advance. Jackie

1 Best Answer
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Use the option "Change" on top of the messages -

change_reserv.jpg

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Use the option "Change" on top of the messages -

change_reserv.jpg

Jackie121
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

Many thanks, Marzena! But just to confirm, does that work after they've paid? I can't see how it would generate a payment request? Thanks again, Jackie

Hi Marzena, you seem well informed on these things. I have a guest who wants to bring an extra person but when I followed your advice above, it would not let me add another person because I was at the maximum. Is there another way?

@Elizabeth1321 If you can't change the number of people, you can change the total price.  Just add your extra-person fee to the total, and that should work.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Yes, it does. Just BEFORE the stay, you have plenty of time. They should accept the change. If ever guests happen to ignore such a change, you may ask Airbnb for assistance (messages are a proof).

are pet and extra people and cleaning fees typically charge once per visit or once per day

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

To revive this other thread, I have first-time users to Airbnb booked for a couple days in January. They have just sent me a message saying, "Our babysitter fell through and we need to bring our three kids - 4, 12 and 14."

I sent her a request to change reflecting five people vs two (we charge $10 per person per night over two guests), and explained that we need to make sure we have the accurate number of people for liability as well as the fact that having three extra guests will mean it will cost me more to have the listing cleaned after their booking. 

I have not heard back from her yet and supposing she responds upset, refuses or doesn't get back to me at all, what are my options?  I searched the forums but didn't really see too much about this.

Thanks in advance! 

An update on this. The guest accepted the alteration, but now I have received a message from Airbnb staying the guest's payment could not be collected. It further stated that I can cancel the booking at no charge. 

Given all the things I've read on this forum, I have already messaged Airbnb asking them what my options are before I message the guest.

Any suggestions on this new issue? 

Thank you! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@John1080I normally give guests a timeframe when I send the request - i.e. 'please can you respond within 48 hours'.

If she doesn't respond ask Airbnb to pursue it.

Why would she be upset - your extra person charge is on your listing.

Definitely don't let them check in without the additional guests being booked and paid for.

@Helen3, yes, the extra guest policy is listed on the listing, but if they didn't see it and since they're new to Airbnb, I'm always concerned about these issues, as I feel it could lead to negative feelings and thus negative reviews from the guest. 

See the update I posted just as you were typing too, please! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is no reason for the guests to give you a bad review for asking them to pay for additional guests they have just informed you of @John1080.

Hosts cannot be in a situation of not enforcing their payment terms, calling out bad behaviour or asking for compensation for fear of a bad review.

In your situation I would ask Airbnb to cancel as they had a last minute addition of three guests and then their payment didn't go through. From what you have said your other option is to let the guests stay knowing their payment hasn't gone through.

@Helen3, thanks for your responses. After getting in touch with Airbnb, they reached out to the guest and got the payment issue cleared up quite quickly, so that is settled.

I had no intention of letting them stay without paying, but the question was whether the issue would be resolved and what the potential cancellation situation would be, since often times these issues, which should be clear-cut turn out to be rather ambiguous for us hosts. I'm satisfied that that part of the booking has been resolved.

Now, for the first issue, I think we hosts do indeed have to be concerned about asking guests, particularly first time guests, who often do not understand quite how Airbnb works for simple things that should not be a problem.

I have never gotten a negative review, let alone one for an issue, but I've read dozens of stories on these threads about some guests indeed leaving poor, retaliatory reviews for being asked reasonably to pay extra or to follow the rules. I think it's best to be proactive and seek out others' experiences and considering all options before addressing an issue that one has never had to deal with. Myself, I have tried to prevent these issues from arising in the first place by being very clear with my rules and policies and communicating them with potential guests clearly and efficiently, but there is always, so it seems, going to be that one guest who falls through the cracks.  

Asking this woman to pay the extra money might indeed upset her because let's say she didn't read or comprehend that part of the rules/messages or because she's cheap or ignorant? It could happen! 

Thank you again for your input and Happy New Year! 

John

Elizabeth1321
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Further to the question about guests wanting to bring extra people...I have tried to "change reservation" to add the extra person they want to bring (so the guest will be charged accordingly) but as we are at the maximum number of guests there is not box for "additional guests"...any suggestions?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Elizabeth1321 

As it says earlier in this thread, this is because you can't add extra guests over and above your limit.

If you are happy to accept a guest over your maximum limit, you will need to create a special offer or send a request through the Resolution Centre.