Crime scene type trashed space!

Micah---Alicia0
Level 1
Ypsilanti, MI

Crime scene type trashed space!

We recently hosted a guest with no reviews. Their welcome message simply said "Cant wait to spend the night in your beautiful space". We did not think twice about it because we have never had issues (200+stays in) with people with no reviews. Our cleaner arrived to find blood on EVERY surface. Cigarettes put out on every possible surface in our space, as well as a lot of evidence of drugs being used in the space (I.e. makeshift bongs and pipes, hoses, etc...)  It looked like a crime scene.. hair ripped out and all over the floor with blood strewn about. Art smashed off the walls, blinds ripped down, the list goes on. We had to hire a hazmat team to come in for cleaning. We are in the process of trying to submit claims for all the damages as well as the week that we have to block off to repair all the damages. Any advice? 

4 Replies 4

@Micah---Alicia0  by your account, the place didn't just look like a crime scene - it is a crime scene. When you discover a property in a state where it looks like someone was harmed or killed, obviously you have to call the police! Why in earth would you have the place cleaned before you have a police report and evidence collected?

Tampering with a crime scene in itself is a crime. I truly hope I'm mistaken and you actually did have law enforcement involved from the minute blood was spotted. If not...I don't know what to say...

Andrew, thank you for your concern. Of course we went through the proper channels with the authorities. It was evident to them and us it was a party that got out of control. The blood is from people cutting themselves on broken glass from pictures and wine glasses that they broke and being to drunk to notice and spread it all around the space. I was hoping for more advice about how to go about getting help from Airbnb. So far they have not been very helpful nor have the expressed the level of concern that I would hope for.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I am so sorry that happened to you and your home. What you described would be my worst nightmare. As I am sure you already have, photos, photos and more photos. Also get statements or actual physical quotes for fixing things so you can present those to Airbnb in your claim. Also, if you have any before pictures of specific items damaged, or proof of value, submit those as well. Unfortunately airbnb will not always cover the more valuable items such as artwork (Which you mentioned) so if you do not ready I highly recommend homeowners insurance. 

In my experience with airbnb support, it has been hit or miss, sometimes they seem over the top helpful and sometimes they are a bit dismissive. Be persistent and stay on top of them.  Also, has the guest had anything to say thus far, or have you tried contacting them?

Here is the portion from their Host Guarantee on covering booking loss.

Booking Income Loss” is the loss of booking income from the booked portion of a Covered Accommodation (according to bona fide Airbnb confirmed bookings, contracts or agreements in force prior to the established time of loss) by you, as a Host, resulting from a Covered Loss. Booking Income Loss does not include non-continuing charges and expenses or any loss of booking income during any period in which the Covered Accommodation would not have been tenantable for any reason other than a Covered Loss. The Booking Income Loss will be measured starting from the time of occurrence of the Covered Loss and ending when the Covered Accommodation can be made ready for habitation under the same or equivalent physical and operating conditions that existed prior to the damage."

Hope things work out for you

Thank you so mich for the thoughtful and helpful information Jennifer! We have already reached out to the guest with no response. Right now we are in the 72 hour waiting period to see if the guest will take responsibility. If (and most likely when) not, then we will hound Airbnb after that to deal with the claimed loss amount!