Damage to guest belongings

Damage to guest belongings

Hi

If a guest has damage to laptop or phone etc due to a leak or burst pipe at the hosts flat who is responsible for the costs?

Is it the guest responsible for travel insurance or the host to needs to take responsibility?

thanks

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The Travel Insurer would be the first port of call, if they could show somebody else was legally liable they could seek to recover from them.

Unlikely to be the case wuth a burst pipe, not normally possible to show somebody else has been negligent.

David
Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

I think the host is responsible. After all, you can't blame a guest for trouble with your property in this case. If I were the guest, that is how I would see it, and how I would act on it. My devices cost around $600 for the iPad and $600 for the iPhone. I would definitely want that reimbursed if they were damaged beyond reasonable repair. If they were repairable, I would expect the host to pay for this. I would definitely go to Airbnb and make sure this happened. If I had travel insurance as a guest and they were willing to cover it, all well and good, but if I didn't have insurance, I would work with Airbnb for compensation unless the host agreed to cough up the money first.

@Kate157

That is very nice of you and if you want to pay out of your own pocket then of course I am sure the guest would be delighted.

I think you may be the exception that proves the rule.

Not sure what you mean by work with AirBnB, how do they come into the picture?

David

I would file a claim with Airbnb for damage, @David126. I don't think I'm particularly nice, but I am fair, and if the guest's expensive stuff is damaged by the host's property, to me compensation is fair. It should not be the guest's problem.

The only Insurance AirBnB provide is Liability cover, not seen anybody who has used it. Now it is not impossible that this could be a liability issue, but it is very unlikely.

David

Your own homeowner's would cover water damage if you have flood insurance, but with a $1,000 deductible, not sure it's worth it.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Unlikely to cover Guests property. Usually that would be down to their own insurance.

David