Damages from last guests, new guests checked in the same day. What's my process & recourse?

Debbie111
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

Damages from last guests, new guests checked in the same day. What's my process & recourse?

Hello Airbnb community.  I would appreciate some help.  I am a co-host, my partner and I just rented our rental home to 4 teenage boys without an adult.  Their father booked it saying he was chaperoning and then no-showed due to family emergency?  I really feel he knew he wasn't coming.  They seemed okay but when I went to clean up for arrival of our new guests the place was a disaster.  It took me 4 hours to get it clean and ready for the next guest who fortunately decided to check in late.  Toward the end I noticed gouges in our freshly painted kitchen walls and the kitchen faucet handle came off in my hand.  I read the policy and it states I have 14 days to make a claim, OR, until the next guest checks in.  I did not have proper time to report this before the next guest checked in.  There is no info on what to do now and no Airbnb Voice to speak with.  Help anyone?  Thank you

5 Replies 5
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hard times for @Debbie111 - it really isn't easy everyday to car of everything and everyone. 

" 14 days to make a claim, OR, until the next guest checks in. " : 

I understand that "OR" is not exclusive.

It should not matter that the new guests are in as long as you re still in 14 days window and that you've taken pictures of the damages. 

Still interested in what other hosts have to say about this interesting question.

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Debbie111  Airbnb say: "If a host wants to make a claim on the security deposit, they must do so within 14 days of the checkout date or before a new guest checks in, whichever is earlier. "  This is so that they can be sure the next guest did not cause the damage.

Bad news (:

Hi Julia,

I know this which is why I wondered if anyone knew of any procedures further.  I took pictures of the damage before the next guests came in which was Saturday but didn't have time to do anything with it before welcoming the next guests.  This is our first issue so my husband thought I had 48 hours.  When I read the policies yesterday I read what you read.  Thanks anyway...

Hi Just Traveling, When I read the policy I understood it to be OR and thought that doesn't give any time if the next guest arrives that day.  Wondered if anyone knew what happens if there is no transition time.  I imagine I will still pursue it since I did take pictures...  Thanks for your response...  Will let everyone know the outcome.

Hi Debbie, what was the outcome? I'm experiencing the same issue.