Denied for lack of reviews

Katie672
Level 3
Denver, CO

Denied for lack of reviews

I was denied 2 times in 2 days! One host told me his "plans changed" so I reached out to ask the real reason. I found out I was denied a stay because I have no reviews yet. I've never personally booked a stay with Airbnb before. But just be honest. And maybe don't wait a full 24 hours only to deny a guest. Waste of time.

I can imagine that many Airbnb guests are 1st timers. It would be easy to ask the guest some questions and get to know them through social media platforms. Just sad and makes me want to go through other vacation rentals.

28 Replies 28
Howard42
Level 5
Hilliard, OH

@Katie672   Dont give up, there are many hosts that accept instant booking or will reply to inquiries from first time bookers.  Just keep looking for another suitable location.  It can be hard the first time, but once you get a review you are good to go.

Thank you @Howard42. I ended up instant booking with a brand new host.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Katie672 I have a few thoughts. First off your verifications are very slim. Consider adding some social media, or even better, a government ID. Fill out your profile narrative to include just a bit about yourself. When you send a reservation request and/or inquiry, perhaps mention who you are traveling with and why or what drew you to that property. 

Sending out requests and being rejected is hard. [Hosts are penalized for rejecting, by the way.] Remember, these are our homes and we are a bit protective.

Good luck finding a place that fits you well!

Thank you @Susan151 I appreciate the feedback. I honestly never went far enough to know that I could write an "about me". I just did 🙂 I still feel that it isn't too much work to ask some questions. After all, I was willing to pay over $1000 for my stay. All I can say is it's their loss. I'm giving a host with no reviews a chance so fingers crossed. We all need to start somewhere.

@Katie672 Who knows what they are thinking! I am in the business of renting my rooms to people who want to stay in them. I have never rejected anyone who wasn't declaring that they planned to bring more people than I am allowed by regulation to host.

New hosts might just be nervous, or waiting for a bed to arrive from Wayfair.

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

Personally I would probably have accepted your booking and in fact have IB enabled but as a host I can remember a time when both guests and indeed hosts used to write a detailed profile which at least was a basis for a getting to know a bit about each other.  You have done the right thing in my view by now writing a profile.  But hosts should not forget that at one time they were starting out and had no reviews!

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan151 

re 'Hosts are penalized for rejecting'

You need to be more specific.

We can Decline Reservation Requests and so long as it's not overly repetitive, then it doesn't damage Ratings.

My strategy is to initially request Guest to 'Withdraw Request'.

It works in 90% of cases, so my Acceptance Rate is rarely below 100% and normally well over requisite 88%

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Katie672 keep in mind that requesting on ABB is more like making an elevator pitch than ordering at the drive thru. 

I am more inclined to positively react to a request if the guest:

-has a full profile (you can't help that you don't have reviews but you could have a few more verifications)

-demonstrates that they read my entire listing and understands all that we do/don't offer

-phrases their request in a friendly, appreciative manner

-is forthcoming about their plans for their visit (business, pleasure, other guests, etc)

Good luck!!

@Kelly149 I will get some verifications on my profile. I appreciate the tips. I did write a message introducing myself and reason for my stay 🙂 The reason for this initial post was to let hosts know that it is frustrating to go through this. I understand both sides but we all start out with no reviews. Thank you!

@Katie672 Yep, I understand. I host more than I travel (on ABB anyway) and the times I have considered booking as a guest I found the whole process quite exhausting. By the time you wade thru the incomplete, scary, sparse, overpriced, underpriced...and then have something you’re halfway considering then the host might be MIA, incompetent or evasive... it’s a problem for sure. 

There are some gems - a hotel won’t be an open-concept repurposed barn with porch swings & chickens to feed afterall - but you do have to be willing to go on a hunt to find them. 

Oh, and a tip, throw a wider net, you shouldn’t be messaging just one host at a time. Expect that there will be some duds along the way. SuperHosts or listings that are clearly frequently booked are a good start. And there are multiple listing services and most properties are on several. 

Good luck!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Katie672    There are two sides to every coin, Katie.  😉    As hosts, we open our homes to complete strangers, therefore, we want to know as much as possible about a potential guest.  Airbnb has become very "guest-centered", making it harder and harder for us to properly vet guests to ensure that our property is a good fit for those requesting to stay.   When you send a a request to a host, all we see is a blank space where your pic is supposed to be and a first name.  For me as a host, this is simply not enough to make an educated decision whether to accept your booking or not.  The guest is not to blame here, but Airbnb. 😉

That being said--I ask a lot of questions of my potential guests.  As Kelly already mentioned, the way a guest replies plays a great role in whether a reservation is accepted or not.  I also think all of us hosts like to see that you have uploaded a government-issued ID, completed the "about me" section and have an identifiable profile pic(which the host only gets to see AFTER the booking is accepted).  I honestly don't care whether a guest is new to Airbnb(has any reviews), or not; some of my best guests were new to Airbnb.  🙂

@Ann489 I 100% understand that there are 2 sides. My point is that a host could take a few minutes of their time to ask questions or get to know a potential guest. I think it is assumed that I didn't write a message when I tried to book this particular stay. However, I did. I introduced myself and explained the reason for my visit. Do you understand how frustrating it is as a guest planning a trip to wait 24 hours each attempted booking only to be denied? It is a complete waste of time when I could be trying to book other stays.

I have a rental property so I absolutely understand the other side of the coin.

Everybody (hosts and guests) started out with zero reviews. I can't help the fact that I have never personally booked. Maybe hosts should write in their description that they won't accept unreviewed guests. That would save people time and frustration.

It is quite possibly a flaw of Airbnb itself. I just hope hosts understand that there is more to do than simply deny. Unless of course they don't want my money.

@Katie672   You are clearly pretty frustrated and I understand that.  In my opinion, the fault here lies mostly with Airbnb who does VERY little to support its hosts.  We carry all the risks.   A lot of us have been burned by bad guests who have disrespected and damaged our properties without any recourse to compensation.   I can't blame any host who is extra- cautious these days. 

"My point is that a host could take a few minutes of their time to ask questions or get to know a potential guest"      The great majority of us hosts DOES ask questions.  It's  the only tool we have available to help us decide whether a potential guest is a good fit or not.  Most guests are happy to answer them.  Some get offended and feel hassled.

"Maybe hosts should write in their description that they won't accept unreviewed guests. That would save people time and frustration."      When a host turns on Instant Book, we have the option to turn on the requirement of guests having been recommended by other hosts.  That still means that you can send a booking request, and is usually NOT a reason to decline a booking. 

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Katie672 

I got your point. It is very frustrating to get booking request denied for a listing you spent time and really liked to book. I had the same frustration when my booking was denied for a different reason. 

Indeed, I like first time guest because I have instant booking on and I get a chance to ask them questions before I accept their booking requests. If they respond promptly, I consider them to be responsible and serious. If I don't get reply or deny to answer questions, I would reject at that time. 95% or more new guests are very good guests that are higher than the percentage of guests with 2 or 3 good reviews in my experience.