Deposits and availability

Pam1291
Level 2
Provo, UT

Deposits and availability

I would like to see 2 changes:

- A 13 or 16 month availability calendar so while guests are enjoying your place they can book the next year. I don't want an infinite availability calendar cause that is unmanageable.  

- Damage deposits to pay hosts replacement value instead of prorated age based value. A guest shattered my huge sliding glass door playing and it cost me a real $1k to replace it but AirBnB sent me a check for $50 because the door was an original door (in perfect shape) and the guest gave a horrible review (well, who knows how much AirBnB took from them for their troubles). 

1 Reply 1
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Pam1291, a real security deposit is my number one complaint and concern. At any moment, any of us can suffer financial damage from a careless guest or even one who just has an accident, which can happen to anyone. 

What a joke that Airbnb sent you a check for $50. In my interaction with many of the CS reps, I feel they are undertrained and probably underpaid - I would imagine many of them are young and don't own a home, so really have no idea what it is like to worry about the possibility of damage. 

I have twice asked for money from guests - once for a broken flue on my woodstove and once for excessive cleaning (the guest didn't know that that had not been something we can collect on). Luckily, they both agreed and paid-up quickly, but if there was some really costly damage, it would be a real pain if they refused and simply closed their account, which I've heard of people doing.