Difficult guest and negative review - help?

Chelsea22
Level 2
Houston, TX

Difficult guest and negative review - help?

I recently received my first every negative review from a guest who was extremely difficult during their stay.

This guest asked me repeatedly to be their tour guide, take time of work, tour them around, etc. When I responded this wasn't something I was able to do as I work 60+ hours a week, the guest was very distraught, and angry I couldn't meet her when she arrived, despite sending her a lengthy Welcome message with all the pertinent details.

I have a private room airbnb, and I do have a dog. I have pictures of my dog on my listing, as well as multiple details about her and her care. She stays kenneled when I am at work, apart from when her dog walker arrives, and is a very sweet and friendly puppy. This guest complained the dog was aggressive and scared her by growling and barking excessively, something my dog does not do, and I've had ZERO complaints form other guests regarding my dog's behavior.

She complained about my neighbrhood, about the lack of transportation in my city, etc. I have all of these details discussed on the listing, as well as any details about my home and my lifestyle.

She was excessively rude to me, as well as left me 5 voicemails and sent me over 30 messages. She asked me to hand draw her a map, as well as multiple other requests, which I would have had to reasonably charge her for, as they went far above the $40/night she paid for the room.

In the review she left, she also describes in detail where to find the key to enter my home, which I think is a HUGE safety issue, and it makes me nervous having that review so high on my listing, as I do not want issues with other guests. I've changed the key's location for now, but it is still stressful.

Anyone have tips on how to discuss this with airbnb? I am not worried about my superhost status, as the review didn't bring me down past the mark to qualify, just more concerned for my safety.

3 Replies 3
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Call them and get it removed, sounds like a nut job, make sure that you warn other hosts, 'best suited to a hotel' would do it in your review.

David
Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Chelsea22

I just wanted to let you know that I have moved your post to a new thread, as although it is about the same topic as the thread it was in, it is a new question so it is better in a new thread! It will be easier for other hosts to find it and comment here.

I have also given it a title, let me know if you want to change it!

I agree with @David126 - you should contact the airbnb support team to try and get the review removed, it is a security issue, as you said, if she has posted the key information publically. This community help guide explains the best ways to contact airbnb.

Let us know how you get on!

Kirstie

Julie383
Level 1
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Hi there. I have had a similar issue over the new years period. I was away at the time, and before the guest confirmed the booking I mentioned I would be away, but sent extensive personalised information to them. I also went so far as to offer to be friends with them on Facebook and start a chat thread with local friends who had agreed to include my guest in activities, or show him around. I arranged another friend to check him in and welcome him. Plus they gave him a free ride from the airport. 

From the get go he was negative, and fussy about every element. He for some reason expressed "shock" that he was staying alone. and sent me rude messages on FB during my holiday. When I arrived back early I went to collect him and see if I could take him out to remedy things, and also because my friend who helped previously didn't want to see him again. He was such a pain in the ass personality. Negative, didn't like the beach (even though we are a beach city, its the main tourist attraction), and he couldn't understand why no one had befriended him, and complained my friends who he private messaged after meeting hadn't responded (obviously picked up he was a spoilt brat). so I had a friend reunion that night, before I took h around town on a tour and to eat, then we went for supper with friends at a popular local spot. Then next morning I dropped him at his bus stop at 6am. All free. Anyway so review time comes around, and he gives me good stars but his review is so lack lustre and under representative of the effort and space, and I am desperately trying for Supr host status. 

He had communicated with me a ton on fb, before during and after the booking. And recently sent me a message sayjng he had posted his review. So I sent him a message saying ibread it and was a bit disappointed. And felt he maybe should consider his role in his experience of the space and city. Honestly this wamoreof a himanitarian reach out, which i realise now was futile. But the guy is seriously oblivious. He hates his parents, his friends, strangers etc etc. And gives off a toxic vibe, and is a verybdisorganised traveller, which doesn't work in a 3rd world country like South Africa. 

Anyway he responded so negatively to my message and said he would report it to air bnb. Despite the fact he aired his grievances (about being in the house alone, and not knowing what to do or where to go in the city and being bored) on fb to me while I was away on holiday, which were pretty harassing.

Anyay if he reports the conversation to air bnb it will probably ruin my chances of Super status. I wish I had left it now, but the review looked such a contradiction to my others, and I need every one before Jan. Help!!!