Discounts

Susan1791
Level 1
Dunham, Canada

Discounts

Has anyone experienced an unauthorized weekly discount put on their listing by AIRBNB?  There was a 40% discount on my summer rental for weekly reservations!  I am very upset.  Airbnb has not corrected it!!!!!!

12 Replies 12
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Susan1791 it can't be unauthorized, you must have set it up when making the listing and you also have to remove it personally. Select a listing and go to "Booking Settings" then "Pricing" and then "Length of stay prices" and remove the discount. 

Susan1791
Level 1
Dunham, Canada

Hi Ana - that's the point - I never put the discount in.  Why would I discount the busiest season?  It seems bizarre to me but it happened.

Damir42
Level 1
Adelaide, Australia

Happened to us just last night wtf Airbnb our weekend price is set to $185 per night then a booking from China shows they got it for $141 per night without me giving a discount nor being asked to give it.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Damir42 

You have the "non refundable" cancellation policy ticked in your listing, giving guests 10% discount when they choose this. option.

Hmm that still doesnt make sense, our price for weekend is $185 per night, so if the 10% was correct that means the price should have been $166.50 not $141

Our weeknight pricing is $165 so even if it was that it still works out to $148.50 which is still more than what their booking is at only $141 per night.

I remember seeing  this 10% off somewhere but for the life of me I can no longer find where this is set.

And seems Airbnb have completely taken away the ability for us to raise a support ticket or call anyone, last year I remember chatting to someone but thats no longer available.

I sent this person a money request and after seeing your post I cancelled it, probably best anyway but I do recall this happening once or twice before but I never got around to asking them about it because couldnt find their contact details...

So strange

I found out that they can drop your nightly rate below you minimum rate settings for longers stays, AND THEN reduce is by the discount set for weekly/nightly rates. This is crazy! I am currently fighting it because they don't clearly warn or explain this... also, what is the point of a minimum stay price if they can lower it?

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Susan1791and @Damir42 

There are some traps you may want to be careful and try to avoid when you operate Airbnb application especially the mobile app. They often come as tips or hints below your listings. If you accidentally press on them,  just make sure don't hit Save. Otherwise, your price will be changed.

When you change price settings, you may have to be careful as well. The default weekly or monthly discount are at least 20%. Therefore, never use those default settings.

In addition, you may want to pretend to be a guest and try to search your listings. And make sure the dates are available (not blocked) and prices are correct.

Regan17
Level 1
United States

I have been on the phone all morning about discount issues... I have screen shots of contradicting information. They are trying to say that a weekly AND monthly discount is applied to a stay for 28 days which cannot be true. It doesn't clearly state that, and why would that be true? I am losing hundreds on a 28 night stay and I am not happy about this. BEWARE OF THE DISCOUNTS! 

Paul116
Level 1
Ullapool, United Kingdom

They definitely do have a way of applying discounts without notifying hosts. I've just realised very substantial losses for ten months this year. I have never had the need to offer a discount and definitely did not apply it myself.

They just applied a 30% discount to a guest that booked a month before the winter discount was activated! It has taken almost a month of my time and no one at AirBnB calls me for at least a week and then calls at odd times. They do what they want with discounts and you have no way to fix it!

Thomas1603
Level 2
Smithtown, NY

I just had a guest get a 34% discount that I did not enter.

I promptly changed the discount to 5% from 34%. I never entered the 34%.

I likely had no discount. I use a desktop, so I don't have a small screen issue.

OMG. This is crazy. The exact thing happened to me. First of all, the discount was also got applied somehow without my agreement, and then I tried hard to disable it from the phone app and there is NO option to do that. So, I removed all the monthly 10 percent discount  and raised daily price so I get per month what I want including their discount. When I did a PREVIEW, it showed me I was getting 2700 per month which is for JULY month and 1br apt is right on the beach. 

The total  price I agreed was around 5300. Then few days before guest is coming, I see the new price with the 1000 discount applied. The new price didn't even cover my electric bills. This is absolutely unfair and illegal practice what they are doing. They are showing you in PREVIEW the price you are agreeing, and then they take discount at your expense. Good that I noticed it early, but now I feel horrible that I have to do this to a guest....but this is really all Airb fault that they are doing such a bad practice with all those hidden discounts that you can't even remove from the app.