Discouraged

Discouraged

I just started doing Airbnb a month ago and I am feeling very discouraged.  It has been a lot of work getting the space prepared before beginning, between quests, and responding to each parties needs and questions.  That would be fine except I find people to be so critical and to have expectations completely out of step with the cost of the space.  I typically do long-term rentals in my in-law unit and am thinking of returning to that.  Anyone want to comment? Thanks!

10 Replies 10
Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Deborah - 

I am surprised that you sound so low and discouraged by renting out your space.  Your reviews are fabulous and your place looks great, in the tradition of the Bay Area and the pricing seems appropriate for a in-law space. Are you discouraged because you want to charge more?  You can always raise your pricing a bit more as you get more reviews.  Take good heart in that you have terrific reviews, and that's the calling card. Trying targeting you listing to the type of guest you want.  For example, if are you close to hospitals, taylor your listing for doctors, nurses or interns by listing the most prominent hospitals near you.  Target budget travelers who can take day trips to the vineyards in NAPA since you are sorta close to them. Or interns doing stints at companies nearby. Target and go after your guest by advertising your rooms with the key word to attract them.

Linda

some of the more negative comments were by text or in the locked area of the reviews.  i guess i have to learn that i can't make every one happy. thanks for the ideas.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Deborah74

What a gorgeous location and space!

I noticed that in the individual points you've achieved the full 5-star rating!

I for ex. can't get past the 4.5 stars for location even with all the people that tell me how much they loved the neighborhood. Go figure...

For some reason though, your overall experience rating is only at 4 stars. This could be something that doesn't have anything to do with the accommodation itself and any of the rated points and is often connected to how people felt there or experienced being there.

As host it's not easy to put oneself into a stranger's shoes as to what could be unpleasant or not completely up to parr for them, since we have developed blind spots and have learned to live with annoying things or shortcomings.

Why don't you ask a friend who isn't as used to your house and location and whom you can trust to give brutally honest feedback what it could be that is not so great. Have them arrive just as a guest would and take them through like you would a guest.

Take into consideration things like lighting to the Airbnb entrance, or how awkward is navigating the path there (what if I arrive with high heels, white sneakers)? Are there any loudly chirping insects birds in your area that visitors aren't used to?  Neighbor dog that won't stop barking? Loud traffic noises?  Tons of mosquitos or flies, so that it's unpleasant to even take a walk?....

And then you either remedy these things as far as possible or mention them in the listing.

Visitors experience the typical Dutch stairs in my house for ex. as steep even though they haven't seen anything yet in the way of Dutch steep!! So I've mentioned it several times in the listing and added different images, so they are prepared, plus I offer to help with their luggage.

For guests past the fountain of youth or who are on a longer trip and are probably coming with a larger suitcase  I'll message them a couple of days beforehand to say not to faint when faced with the steep ascent after I buzz them in, as I'll be on my way down to help.

When aware of the 'quirks' of a place you can point them out at check in and where possible humorously explain them. 

Or you could even ask some of your guests. Say for some reason you haven't been getting full star rating for overall experience despite all other ratings are full star. Using the reason that you are a fairly new host and that happy guests are important to you, you'd really appreciate to hear how they experienced their stay in total and to please give some constructive advice.

Then use that to see what you could do.

Hope this gives some pointers! 

thank  you!

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Deborah74, Oh Dear, You do sound quite like you need a hug and a cuppa, and Thankfully the girls, @Andrea9, and @Linda0, seem to have hit just the right note. Their well rounded advice is spot on!

What stands out to me is your comment;

" It has been a lot of work getting the space prepared before beginning, between quests, and responding to each parties needs and questions.  " You too are spot on....

Any successful host will tell you that they put a lot of time and effort into their hosting. It is definitely not "money for nothing".

Sure Airbnb does offer the opportunity to monetise something you already own without undue extra expense, but when the snap your fingers "abracadabrah moment" ends, it is usually followed by a signoficant deal of preparation and adjustment to refine the average family premises towards travelling guests.

Certainly you have highlighted a couple of issues already in your brief note with communication getting a mention early on. Accepting travellers into your premises is rarely going to be as simple as "yep, no worries see you next tuesday at 9pm".

Reading these forums it quickly becomes evident that it is a "complex game" with a variety of diverse challenges, and you never quite know which challenge/player has just arrived, but here the battle is to each enjoy yourselves in a Zen kinda way.

A combination of basic preparation, and learning a few set moves is definitely key to success.

It can feel like a lot of work sometimes, especially when a host is starting out.

Find your  groove and your niche and work on it.

Things will fall into place, then across a few seasons you will discover that individual guests start returning and your premises and your listing becomes known within a particular community, eg the medical staff, or local archers, dog trainers or rowers and triathalon competitors. Each Airbnb according to what's in your neighbourhood. it can be fun if you see it as a business development/sport and you like tracking your progress.

Use your guests as training guides and coaches. Hear what they have to say and then make your own decisions.

A lot of their comments will be helpful, some will not. Only you can decide the direction you wish to pursue, but your guests will give you feedback about their perspective, and some surprising and delightful ideas thay you may not have even thought of.

Hosting is very different from long term rentals, and it brings different things into your life. Only you can make the choice of whether its a good fit.

Your comments though are an excellent pointer to newbies who might be underestimating the amount of effort and guest management that will be involved.

It will be interesting to hear back from you about your progress and your reflections over time. Because it's also good to hear how your efforts were rewarded with positives, including the enjoyment of hosting.

A webinar has been announce in the community

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Welcome-Announcements/bd-p/announcements

It's topic is tailoring your listing to attract more guests.

Cheering you on from the sidelines............

Regards, Christine.

i'd love a hug and a cuppa!

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Hello again Deborah --

I just thought of what you said about how fast you must prepare between guest, and I agree it is a lot of work, and you may want to take a break between guests if they are booking back to back. Go to the gear icon on the calendar and add a day break for preparation time, that way you are not rushing.  I had problem too because i work and I couldn't do it all between guests.  I now schedule a day before and after guests just so I have breathing space, don't feel rushed by getting in all the right questions when vetting inquires.  I know you don't want to miss asking the right questions.  Let us know how you are feeling in the middle of the week. We are here help each other -

Linda 

thanks everyone for the great ideas and feedback.  it's nice to have some more experienced hosts for help. deborah

Hey a friend of mine just forwarded me this article from the NY Times titled "How to Survive Being an Airbnb Host".  "The hospitality business is one long, grinning, love-me-please tap dance, more easily disparaged than done."  I guess I'm not the only one!

Judith99
Level 1
Nashotah, WI

OK, I am BRAND New to this site. I got a message that someone is interested and said they were waiting for credit card approval and asked if I heard anything. Is it allowed or not to request a potential  guests phone number to discuss the rental? or to give them mine?

My rate is Variable and my concern is they will not get the rate correct for the time they wish to use it. Help please