Does anybody had an experience with false profiles on Airbnb?

Viktorija19
Level 1
Subotica, Serbia

Does anybody had an experience with false profiles on Airbnb?

I received a reservation in Russian from one person without any references on the profile who wrote me that earning money without real guests in not a myth. Soon I received another two reservations for the same dates again from profiles without any references. They wanted to share some intimate details through WhatsApp and even share some intimate details. Did anybody have similar experience?

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Viktorija19  No, but you should report the accounts these messages are coming from to Airbnb.

Are you sure these are reservations? They sound like messages sent as a Request to Book or an Inquiry. If they were confirmed bookings the account would have been charged for them, which I can't see scammers doing.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Viktorija19 @Sarah977 

These communications are from fraudsters attempting to recruit hosts to collude in their money-laundering scams @Viktorija19  - hence the "earning money without hosting is not a myth" line.

Cyber criminals have been rampantly exploiting the weaknesses n Airbnb's safety and security systems for years, and emboldened by their successes (and Airbnb's failure to detect/halt their fraudulent actions) they've more recently graduated from the inconvenience of having to seek out complicit hosts on the dark web, to simply setting up their own Airbnb accounts and approaching hosts directly.

"The Daily Beast found a number of recent posts on several Russian-language crime forums, in which users were looking for people to collaborate with to abuse Airbnb’s service. According to Rick Holland, VP of strategy from cybersecurity firm Digital Shadows, these operations rely on an individual or group using legitimate or stolen Airbnb accounts to request bookings and make payments to their collaborating Airbnb host. The host then sends back a percentage of the profits, despite no one staying in the property. 

In essence, it’s a way to extract value out of stolen credit cards. In another case, fraudsters might buy electronic goods such as iPhones with stolen cards to then resell at a profit. This is the same idea of laundering funds, just with Airbnb"

Inside Airbnb's Russian Money Laundering Problem 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-airbnbs-russian-money-laundering-problem

How Criminals use Airbnb and Uber To Launder Money Stolen From Your Credit Card

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/07/how-criminals-use-airbnb-uber-launder-stolen-credit-card-money.html