EAsier duvet covers

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

EAsier duvet covers

Duvet covers are quickly filtering to the top of my do not like list.  It's like wrestling an octopus. The problem is that there is an opening on one side, and you have to fit the duvet into all the corners and have it be flat and even. Hmphf. I've looked at videos, and none seem to be very easy. I was pondering this the other night and a stroke of inspiration crossed my mind.

I'll start with flat sheets and sewing the bottom ends together. Then I'll put large plastic snaps on the remaining 3 sides. This is where all the work is, but once done, it doesn't have to be wrestled with. To insert the duvet, lay one half on the bed with the other half draped over the foot of the bed. Layer the duvet over that, then fold up the draped end over the duvet. Snap it up. I could even just put snaps all the way around so that when they are laundered, they will launder like separate sheets.

All the work is in adding the snaps, but once done, it makes the changing of the covers so much easier. Can you think of any reason why this wouldn't work?

14 Replies 14
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julie1525 

LOL wrestling with an octopus 😄 exactly.... especially if you have double bed duvets. We use single duvets, it is smaller octopus so it's easier to handle :))) Our duvets have no plastic snaps, just an opening on one shorter side. I wish the opening is wider.

At home I have duvet cover with plastic snaps on the one side, I think there are 5 of them, not very practical and time-consuming

Why not practical?

@Julie1525  I don't iron so the edges with plastic snaps are wrinkled and I have to search where snaps are then clicked them, find another pair of snaps, etc... time-consuming

We use this technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOqQ7IbHi_Y

but we shake it 2x from one side only, I don't know why she shakes it from all sides, it is not necessary.

We tried another technique from youtube, where people roll the duvet like a pancake but it wasn't good because our covers have pretty small openings.

Thank you @Branka-and-Silvia0 !  I'm going to be trying this method, hopefully it's as easy as she made it look!

I bought a comforter and duvet cover thinking it would be easier to just take the cover off and wash as opposed to the big quilts I've been using.  I'm sure anyone who would have been there watching me put that comforter into that duvet would have been on the floor, doubled over, holding their sides laughing.  I'm thinking there has got to be an easier way to do this. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Julie1525, it will get easier the more you do it. But you can follow the hotel line, and do a thing called the ''triple sheet'' method. It will look the same as a duvet cover, but bed is made with flat sheets only, all the same. Wouldn't worry anout snap fastenings.

Personally, since I sometimes sleep like a spin cycle, the triple sheet ends up a sorry mess and I find the duvet a much more comfortable sleep. Stayed  in a hotel recently and ended up with sheets all over the place.

Sandra, you're describing how I sleep! I'm lucky to have any coverings on me  come morning.

Cynthia475
Level 5
California, United States

I only use duvet covers for all of my beds (including mine at home).  I grew up with them so it seems like second nature but it can get tricky if you do not start off right.  I always lay the duvet cover out flat on the bed.  Then grab one corner of the top of duvet and bring it to the top of the insert to the correct corner.  Then drop that side and go to the other side and do the same.  I find it easier if you don't try to do both corners at the same time.

Cynthia, it's been a steep learning curve! I'm sure I can get faster, but the more I think about this, the more l like the idea of being able to take them apart for washing.

My hubby pointed out that at the top, guests may not like the feel of snaps (or buttons) under their chins. I'm thinking of a way to create  something like a zipper fly that covers the snaps. 

If it just doesn't work, I'll keep working on the curve.

Cynthia475
Level 5
California, United States

Yes if you really are going to make something and there are going to be 3 sides that open, the top should be the one that is left "original".  Even with existing duvet covers, the buttons should always be at the bottom.

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

Another question about duvet covers: do they typically replace a top sheet?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

For me in private: Yes. At accommodation: No. Top sheet plus cover. And if it is summer, guests might want to sleep with just a flat sheet, or flat sheet and blanket instead of doona. So it is a choice.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie1525  It's much easier to use snap tape than individual snaps. If you've never seen this stuff, look for it in a sewing/fabric store which has a good selection of trim and stuff. It's like twill tape with small plastic snaps imbedded. You sew it on using the zipper foot, super quick and easy. If you find it a pain to get the duvet in and out, you could sew this onto 2 sides, the bottom and 1 side, that would be plenty to make it easy to insert the duvet, and no one would have big plastic snaps on the top by their face. I lap the fabric over so the snaps are hidden, like you'd do a lapped zipper.

@Sarah977 , that's an excellent idea. I had totally forgotten about snap tape. Now I will search online for a bulk source. Often they are cheaper than the fabric stores. 2 sides sound easier than one. I'll start there.

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

Thanks, everyone. I believe I'll open one side and use snap tape. It's all still a work in progress!