EXTREMELY DIRTY GUEST

Amos3
Level 2
Noosa Heads, Australia

EXTREMELY DIRTY GUEST

I wanted to ask the community's advice regarding a guest who just checked out. They left the place absolutely disgusting...I am talking a little pool of urine next to the toilet where they missed the bowl, pubes on the toilet seat, half eaten noodles left on the coffee table, bins over flowing, rubbish and packaging discarded all over the place, the bath caked in filth and hair (way more dirty in two days than people who have stayed for 1 month) anyway I jumped on the phone 20 mins after they checked out and told them I was not happy with the state they had left the place in and that I think they should return and clean up after themselves to a basic standard of decency, they told me they thought cleaning was included to which I responded "yes it is but you have gone far beyond regular use and absolutely trashed the place" which will take a few hours more than normal to clean plus is not exactly pleasant for our cleaner. Anyway they told me they cannot come back to tidy up after themselves and would pay $100 extra for cleaning, which I sent off via dispute but instead of accepting that, they have gone and made a review and tried to cover themselves by saying in a message that there were bugs and spiders and dirty water, I am not sure if I should cover myself and post a really negative review or wait for things to be settled by airbnb? or just leave a neutral review and tick the do not recommend box?

7 Replies 7
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

@Amos3 

Your place looks wonderful (I used to live in Yandina). To be honest I would just chalk it up to the cost of doing business BUT I would certainly increase the cleaning fee on longer stays. People make mess especially with longer stays. This is of course as long as they didn’t damage anything? Cheers from paradise

Yeah cheers mate, I guess so I just don't like the idea of me getting a bad review because they did the wrong thing. 😞 But I suppose the other 160 or so good reviews should cancel that out. 

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

You have to tell the truth about them in your review of them. Keep it short, simple and factual. Leave out any judgements, opinions or feelings. Just tell the facts - all of them - in the order they happened. Whoever reads it will formulate their own opinion of them, based on the facts you provide. You should do the same thing in your response to their review, if they leave a bad review of you. In fact you can just copy and paste it from your review.

Amos3
Level 2
Noosa Heads, Australia

Yeah good point. cheers 🙂 

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

After 27 years hosting, I thought I had seen it all.  I too had a discustingly dirty guest with an adult son.  They were in town for three months so there was plenty of time to see dirty.  I cleaned religiously every week.  But the day they moved out, I filled six green garbage bags.  I dont know where it came from (probably their car).  There were boxes stacked in one corner which created another issue....spiders.  So we had to exterminate the next day.

My latest fiasco was at our little river house that we rented to six guys.  That should have been the red flag.  However I have found that men for the most part are very clean.  They were all married and in their early thirties so I didnt think twice.  When they left it was not too bad inside.  Some of them stripped their beds and piled the linens in one area. and evidence of using a vacuum. However they used our wooden trailer pad for firewood for their bondfire and now the house is infested with grasshoppers. ...hundreds of them. (the wood was punky and we had an exterminator coming to treat the wood before removal...knowing this could bring on the ants...not thinking it could be hoppers)  There was big spots on the new carpet (and that did clean out ok).  There was stains on the white canvas chair (and it cleaned out that too badly), but I was not impressed with the 'large corn pot' under the kitchen sink filled with urine.  I can only imagine that it was used instead of going upstairs to the washroom.  One person with brut force broke and pulled a 5' wall mirrow off the bedroom wall.  It was screwed to the wall with four 1 3/4" screws.  My new blankets have burn holes and this is a no smoking house.  I think they took the blankets outside while burning my trailer pad....and that is  probably how the "eggs" got into the laundry area.  Its like walking into a popcorn machine.  Gross!

That is totally disgusting!

Mariana366
Level 2
Capital District, Venezuela

I just a had a guest for two nights and didn't even came in the second one, who apparently had a very explosive diarrhea and left poo stains on the floor and on the toilet. He then tried to cover it up with a towel which, of course, got poo on it. Will there be any guarantee for this case or I should just suck it up and do the cleaning with all my angry feelings?