Evict a tenant

Paul217
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Evict a tenant

I have a couple of renters the neighbors have complained about for various reasons (noise, rubbish, etc). This last weekend they were partying on the roof and jumped over the protected fenced area to view the skyline. The neighbors want them evicted. Is this possible to do?
8 Replies 8

The neighbors want them out or you do?  It's your property and they are your guests.  Have you talked to the guests about their behavior and set expectations that include not going out onto the roof and picking up after themselves?  

If the guests are violating your house rules, which it seems like they are since you've said they should be respectful of the neighbors, you can ask them to leave.  Contact Airbnb (you can search in the community here for Help Guide to assist you) and tell them that you are going to cancel their reservation early because of the violation.  Airbnb is probably going to want you to try and work with the guests to get the situation resolved before rebooking them elsewhere.  

If the guests are acting criminally, ask them to stop and call the police immediately.  

Good luck.   

Can you guys say you have had a positive experience so far with air bnb? 

no! unhelpful to hosts!!!

When the tenant breaks the house rules, and lanlord asks them to leave the property early, is the landlord responsible for providing refund for the remainder of the days?  Also, are there specific rules on airbnb on how many times the tenant can break house rules before landlord can give notice?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear your poor neighbours. I hope you contacted your tenants straight away and spoke to them about their behaviour. Apart from being inconsiderate - it is dangerous bevahiour.

If you have spoken to them and their behaviour doesn't improve (record this through BnB messaging) I would ask them to leave.

Speak to your neighbours, apologise and send a gift and let them know what you are doing to resolve the situation.

Kim114
Level 2
New York, IA

Wow, that is what is scary about this annonmous renting.  Were you able to contact the tenents?  I hope so.  I feel like we are renting to strangrers with one name.  I am new to this.  Did you recieve the people's full names and addresses before renting?  It seems the renters have more rights that us.

kim

@Kim114 - Airbnb is based on trust and communication.  After a guest is booked, we only receive a full name of the guest who is booking.  Addresses of the guests are never exchanged for their protection.  

Deborah107
Level 1
Oracle, AZ

My thoughts for  penny . . . how do you have your reservations accepted? If you are on auto reservation, which I am, they have to have minimum of a government issued ID on file. Most "houligans", "rowdy folk", "problem guest" immediately stop before they even make the reservation. If they do make a request and they are not immediately accepted, I am contacted with their request. I let them know that before I even consider their reservation, they will have to have a government issued ID on file. I also read their reviews. No ID, no reviews, no reservation! I am new at this, however I have already had a "gut" feeling about a reservation request, he wrote three words, so I requested he submit ID to AirBnb and I never heard back. Thank God for my gut! Sketchy! I also have exceptional insurance in place by Proper Insurance for AirBnb, VRBO locations, I would recommend the same for everyone as a back up for what AirBnb offers. Good luck!