Excessive Heating

Excessive Heating

Hi Airbnb community,

I just wanted to get some advice about how to deal with an issue I'm currently having with heating and electricity usage.  I'm currently renting out my family home for three weeks on a very low rate as I'm new and trying to build up my ratings.   I have a hive heating system that is set to a heating schedule within the home and there is also a boost button in the home should the guest need extra heat.  However I have noticed on the app that the guests have taken it upon themselves to completely re-set my heating schedule to be on 24/7 at 30 degrees.  In addition to this I can see that the lights are also being left on all day.  As my listing price is so low, I'm going to be left out of pocket if this remains like this for the rest of the two weeks.

Can I contact the guests and (politely) ask them to not leave these on 24/7 or is this not deemed acceptable?  I could just re-set it on the app but I feel this will just be a back and forth thing.  

Any advice on the best way to approach this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

14 Replies 14
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Tara485, I would not ask them to adjust the heat or turn off the lights at this point, as they may become annoyed and end up giving you a poor review, which would defeat your purpose of trying to rack up some good reviews.

I would focus on making sure that the policies are clear going forward. You should make it clear that the heat shall not be adjusted and phrase things like you would like guests to help us protect the earth by turning off lights, etc. 

I would also increase my price significantly, as you have a very nice place and people will be willing to pay quite a bit more.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Tara485, personally I’d put heating on normal level. There is no reason to keep it on 30. Total unreasonable waist. And do you have LED bulbs at home? They really help not to worry if someone forget to turn lights off. But in your review you can mention that those guests are not eco-friendly. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Tara485 controlling the heat yourself from the app is how I would do it, you could tell them that the system is "smart" and has energy saving features

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Tara485  how far into their stay are they?

Ruth939
Level 2
Bankfoot, United Kingdom

Hi Tara,  I see that this is quite an old chat thread, but I am in a similar boat.  I'm new to this and like you kept my price fairly low to attract guests and reviews to get me started.  My house is all electric and I have specific instructions re leaving heat, immersion and lights on when not in the property and to be mindful of wasting resources - it is not a cold house.  I have been taking meter readings after each stay more for my own benefit to ensure that I am actually covering my costs.  Anyway, my latest guests left on Sunday and I was concerned that the usage would be high because every light in the house seemed to be on all the time (I live nearby).  I also had to go into the property mid stay because the kids flooded the bathroom (another story!) and I noticed that EVERY heater was on turned up full and the place was like a sauna while they were out for the day.  I politely reminded them about the house rules.  On check out day, instead of leaving at 10.30 am they unapologetically left at 1pm and when I went in to start cleaning  - yet again EVERY heater on full blast.  I had to open all the windows in order to start changing the beds as it was so hot, I thought I might pass out!  On checking my readings, it would seem that they used £120 of electricity in  7 days.  This is 3 times any other guest.  They had 4 kids and I am now wondering if they did all their laundry before they left?  They asked me for an additional discount, which I gave and now regret.

I was starting to think that I would just need to accept that from time to time I would get the sort of guest that likes to get their moneys worth.  In this case they used everything.  I have nice toiletries, basics in the kitchen and washing tablets etc.

I have spoken to my utility provider and the solution has been to get them to come and install a prepaid meter.  I really didn't want to do this, but I can't risk this happening again.  I am going to load the meter with credit say £50 and if the guest goes over that they will have to pay to top it up.  I am hoping that my ordinary guests will be unaffected by this, but it should prevent me having a bill shock again.

Have you found a solution or have you found that it evens itself out over time?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ruth939,

You have a very nice place.  I think that your reviews are at a point that you can safely raise your rates to attract a different type of guest.  Also, it's probably a good idea to move forward with the prepaid meter.

Ruth939
Level 2
Bankfoot, United Kingdom

Thanks Debra - as is your place and in such a beautiful part of the world!  I initially pitched my price low to be competitive in my area and attract reviews.  I think it's time for a price review!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ruth939@Lorna170,

Just a little tip.  You should tag people when responding to them or want their attention, like how I did your IDs.  This way, the person will get a notification of the message.  

Also, if you don't know already, you can follow a thread to receive notification of any updates.  The follow button is at the upper right side of the page.

The prepaid meter is brilliant!  Be sure to look at your previous meter readings and determine the correct "average" and put that amount on the meter.  Be sure that the guest understands that they will need to have to pay the meter; does it take coins or credit/debit cards?  (I am in USA and we don't have this prepaid meter option)  I have had guests leave the heat or air conditioning on and at the same time open every door and window in the house.  This happens more with guests who do not pay for these utilities at their own homes.  I have a Nest thermostat and I have reset the temperature daily for some careless guests.  Once I even turned off the system as the weather was gorgeous and neither heat nor air conditioning would have been needed.

Ruth939
Level 2
Bankfoot, United Kingdom

Hi Lorna, 

Yes, it is something that has been in the UK for years.  There is a fob in the meter that you can 'top up' at a Pay Centre - most grocery stores have the facility as does the one in our village.  It would be my intention, that the ordinary guest will be unaffected, but it should prevent a further incident of excessive usage.  I live very close so I could always do the top up for guests if necessary and the process will be made very clear in the house instructions.

I have been monitoring the power usage for a while now and have a pretty good idea of what is costs per day to run.  There will be seasonal fluctuations of course and I am in the process of having a wood burning stove fitted which will be perfect for the Scottish winters and will hopefully reduce the need to use the electric heaters.

This particular group completely disregarded any of my instructions, so I guess that will happen from time to time and I will have to chalk it up to experience!  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The potential for disaster with a wood-burning stove would outweigh a high electric bill, I would say. If guests completely disregard your instructions now, how do you think that will pan out if they are using a wood stove for heat? Very few guests will be cognizant of how to build a fire in a wood stove or practice adequate fire safety. They could burn your house down!

@Ruth939

Ruth939
Level 2
Bankfoot, United Kingdom

In Scotland it is very desirable for holiday properties to have open fires or woodburners.  Guests really like them over the winter months.  Although many people are completely comfortable with their use as they may have one at home, I still need to provide detailed instructions and I live next to my property so am always on hand should a guest require assistance.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ruth939  I wonder if getting a Nest type of thermostat that allows you to remotely control the temperature might be better than putting a max on utility usage, because you will absolutely have people who waste the resources and will then flip out once they've hit max and are asked to pay extra.

Some people just don't care.  We've had at least 3 sets of guests put the heat up to 84-86F?!?!  I mean, that hot you would want AC to cool it off.  So, presuming we are still in business next year, we'll put in a thermostat that we control via an app.  

Ruth939
Level 2
Bankfoot, United Kingdom

Hi Mark,

I have looked at the Nest type thermometers, however, the house doesn't have what you would call central heating with a thermostat.  We are rural and with no mains gas the heating is a dry electric system.  There are storage heaters in the main areas.  These are 'charged' overnight on economy rate and the heat is released throughout the day and this output can be controlled.  The rest of the rooms have wall mounted electric radiators with a temperature control.  It is very antiquated but a common form of heating here and very expensive to replace.  

The place heats up very quickly, which is why I ask my guests to turn off the heaters when they are out.  As you rightly say though, some people just turn everything up full and leave it on.  I am torn with just accepting that some people will do this, but most won't so I just need to factor this in and hope that it evens out over the year.