Extra bedding

Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

Extra bedding

I have been hosting for more than 6 months but less than 12 months now.

When a guest recently checked in to stay at my place, I provided her basic bedding. When she first placed her booking, the first thought which sprang to mind was "Yes, there is only 1 guest. I don't need to wash 2 sets of bedding! Yay!!!!"

You see, offering the guest free WIFI and free parking does not cause me extra work - it is the cleaning and washing which requires work and which I dread.

After hosting for more than 6 months, my objective was to minimise the amount of I had to do with / for Airbnb. I'm sick and tired of having to constantly 'work at home'. If not for my current situation, given the option and opportunity, I would prefer to not be a host in the future.

After a few nights, the guest asked for an extra blanket. I frowned at the request of the guest. My main intention was to avoid having another extra item to wash - extra work. I asked her for a nominal fee for the extra blanket. After all, this is budget accommodation, not luxury accommodation.

Think about this, flying budget airline is not the same as flying luxury airline. When you fly budget, you pay for every extra. When you fly luxury, the price you paid includes all extras.

My request caused displeasure on the guest. She asked to cancel her reservation and refund for her remaining nights.

I insisted that I have the right to request for money for 'extra services' at Airbnb. After all, the accommodation I provide is budget accommodation, not luxury accommodation.

It really was not my intention to be mean to my guest. At the same time, I was not willing to cater to every whim of the guest or allow my guest to feel entitled for something they did not pay for, especially when the guest paid for a budget accommodation at a low rate. From my perspective, she asked for something extra and it's extra work for me.

From my perspective, this is fair trading!

I had roast chicken for dinner this evening. When I asked for extra sauce, the merchant asked for extra payment for the extra sauce! Fair? Did I get mad? No. Should I get mad? No. Did I have any sense of entitlement that the extra sauce should be included in the cost of the chicken or included as part of my meal and so should be free? No. I paid for the extra sauce.

What is your perspective?

33 Replies 33
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Carmen60  Your perspective about being a host is not one I share.  I want my guests to feel I care about them.  I am not a hotel with extra  fees for every request.  Perhaps there are other booking platforms that are more consistent with your perspective.

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Carmen60 It really sounds like you don't enjoy hosting and you'd rather not have to do it at all, so you begrudge your guests anything that may cause you any extra work or hassle. Asking for an extra blanket is not asking for too much - I think most hosts have extra blankets, pillows, towels etc. available for their guests if they are needed. Extra charges tacked on result in an Airbnb experience where the guest feels they are being nickeled & dimed to death, by having to pay for anything that might be considered "extra", but should be included.

Your guest could see that coming & decided to bail on the booking - who can blame her? Far better to build your cleaning costs into your pricing than to tack on additional charges IMO. - Karen

Rita172
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I don't wash blankets after every guest and I don't think hotels do either. So where is the extra work?

People vary greatly re. temperature, for sleeping and if your guest was cold, you certainly should have given her another blanket!!

Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

My guest places the responsiblity of keeping herself warm on me, rather than taking responsiblity for her own self. (By the way, it's only early autumn and not even late autumn or winter yet! I closed / shut all the windows in the room, the door is closed / shut too.)

I do not believe that I really owe her anything.

If you want something extra which would costs me time and money, I then have a right to request money for it.

The accommodation I provide is budget accommodation ($25 a night), not luxury accommodation ($250 a night).

Of course she depends on you for keeping her warm! Is she supposed to travel carrying blankets!?

You have a warped sense of what a host is, and you should NOT be allowed on Airbnb.

Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

The host shares her place and provides accommodation.

The host is not responsible for the personal health and wellbeing of the guest.

The guest should be adequately clothed herself.

She was also not adequately clothed herself at work during the day, when she was out of the home!

Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

Here is my understanding:

The host shares her place and provides accommodation.

The host is not responsible for the personal health and wellbeing of the guest.

The guest should be adequately clothed herself.

She was also not adequately clothed herself at work during the day, when she was out of the home!

@Carmen60

Carmen - I think the other hosts are correct. You are not cut out for hosting, you say it yourself. You don't understand what it is like to be guest and provide a service. That's not a criticism - there are lots of roles and jobs I am not cut out for. You asked for feedback and it's pretty clear and consistent.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

With this attitude I don't think you should be hosting. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Carmen60@David-and-Fiona0@Gerry-And-Rashid0@Rita172@Karen-and-Brian0   This is a first!  All the hosts reponding to the post have similar opinions...Just saying.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

That sounds stingy and unwelcoming. I can understand your guest being upset.

Is the competition in your area so steep that you can't build a little extra cushion into your pricing to accomodate reasonable requests?

I leave two extra blankets and pillows in the closet - about 10% of guests might use them and they can go in the wash with the rest of the laundry. No big deal. I wouldn't begrudge a guest something that makes them comfortable in my home.

Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

The guest at Airbnb always benefits at the expense of the host and Airbnb always benefits at the expense of the host.

The guest paid AUD25 per night (that's US18.75 per night); not AUD250 per night!!!!

When you fly budget, if you want 'extra comfort', you can't just demand or insist on it for free, can you?

The local backpacker accommodation in the city, which charges a comparable rate, don't even offer the value that I offer to the guest. What more could she ask for, for AUD25 per night?

Wow, just wow!!!

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

Well here are two firsts for me regarding this post/host - 

-the first time I have met such a truly ungracious Airbnb Host........

-the first time I have used the 'ignore' button on a profile........

Best Wishes.